Gymnastics Therapists Unite

22 Posts
15 Users
7 Likes
GymCastic
(@gymcastic)
Produnova's Eyebrow Admin
Topic starter  

We've had several therapists reach out who've wanted to connect with other gym nerds. So here's the thread for you. Happy connecting. 

Topic Tags
(@magseb5)
Kindergym

Not a therapist, but school counselor in ohio! Any other school counselors?

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Kindergym

Hello gymnerds!  I'm Kelly and I'm a school psychologist in Florida!

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-becker)
Kindergym

Hi all! Therapist/clinical social worker at MIT (LCSW in the state of MA) here! I specialize in identity (race, queerness) and sexuality; and due to my population I focus a lot on high performance anxiety, so considering therapeutic work in a setting like USAG sounds fascinatingggg.

ReplyQuote
(@foodmoodsnyc)
Kindergym

Hi! Child clinical psychologist in NYC here. I've always been a casual gymnastics fan but this podcast/community is for sure helping me grow in my baby gymnerdhood!

ReplyQuote
(@beach03me)
Kindergym

Hi all! Just some tips for those interested in sports within the behavioral health field, if you're not aware of them 🙂 - 

I'm an MFT (marriage and family therapist) and I am a member of the Alliance of Social Workers in Sports. You don't have to be a social worker to join, just someone in the field, and being on the email list will get you tons of job listings, clinical Q&As, and other news regularly. They also have programs for certification in sports social work, and their upcoming annual conference this year is in New Orleans (fun!). Highly recommended! It's at www.aswis.org. Also, I am the Program Coordinator of Courage First, the new toll-free national athlete helpline run by Childhelp, who runs the National Child Abuse Hotline. I'm clearly biased, but it's a great resource to refer anyone you work with - www.athletehelpline.org or 1-888-279-1026. Vanessa Atler did a really nice post on it a few months ago on IG and TikTok. 

ReplyQuote
(@jillian-balser)
Kindergym

Hi all! My name is Jillian, and I was formerly a therapist (LMSW) in Tennessee, and recently had a bit of a career shift and am a medical student in Georgia. When I worked as a therapist, I did a lot of work with athletes of all ages, specifically surrounding eating disorders and trauma. I am looking forward to carrying this lens into my role as a physician. Looking forward to connecting!

ReplyQuote
(@emma-young)
Kindergym

Wow is this a dream?? Fellow therapist gym nerds!! 

My name is Emma and I am a DBT therapist (LCSW-C) in Maryland. Does anyone else shamelessly use gymnastics related examples in sessions or group? One of my favorite examples goes something like this... 

Maybe you knew this, or maybe you didn't, but I love watching gymnastics! Do any of you remember the Tokyo olympics women's gymnastics team final? (usually there's someone who pops up and mentions what happened with Simone. I then take some time and express respect and gratitude for Simone's choice to put her mental health, physical safety, and the greater team first.) So we get to the beam portion of the competition and it is not looking good for USA! My competitive side is revving up - my heart's racing, my thoughts are going fast, and I can't sit still! One of the Russian gymnasts is on the beam and I have this thought "I hope you fall, and break your leg!" Immediately I pause and the following thoughts roll through my mind-- "did I really just think that??" "This is a 16 year old, I don't want her to be injured!" "Wow! I am invested in this" "Is this what it feels like to love a football team" "when did I become so patriotic?" I then take a breath and continue on with watching the competition. 

I share this with you to illustrate that one singular thought does not define who I am. It is purely a thought - the result of my brain firing in response to a multitude of variables. My thought doesn't force me to flip my television in anger that the USA didn't win gold. My thought doesn't mean that this gymnast will be injured. My thought doesn't mean that I am a terrible and awful human who only cares about winning. It is a thought. 

I'd love to hear if there are ways you bring gymnastics into your work. Obviously it will depend on your therapeutic orientation and such. Happy weekend folks! 

ReplyQuote
(@raquelinagmail-com)
Kindergym

Hello all! I’m so excited to connect with other therapist gymnerds 🙂 

My name is Raquel. I’m a DBT therapist in Oregon; I also specialize in eating disorders. Emma, I love your example of bringing gymnastics examples into your work.

Looking forward to connecting more!

ReplyQuote
(@michelleanklangmail-com)
Spencer's Eye Roll

Thank you Gymcastic for getting this thread going- I've been dreaming of this ever since I branched out into private practice!

I'm Michelle, an LCSW in Utah. I work primarily with gender and sexuality, as well as overcoming religious trauma (there's a lot of that in Utah). I'd love to get a networking/referral list going, and maybe even a zoom hang? If you're interested, feel free to email me fullprogressllc@gmail.com 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Spencer's Eye Roll

@emma-young I love this example of intrusive thoughts! I find myself using VKF's "act as if" strategy a lot. In her Life Is Short book, she talked about using that with the UCLA team and asking them to act "as if" they were already national champions- what behaviors, attitudes, thoughts, do national champions implement? I apply that to anxiety or depression and guide clients in setting their own "as if" behaviors- what would a "not depressed" or "less anxious" you do differently? Can you do any of those things anyways, despite these feelings? So many people wait for motivation, when changing thoughts and behaviors first is a strategy to increase motivation. 

I also use gymnastics examples for scaling, especially in working with setting boundaries, saying no, or apologizing. We (ideally) learn new gymnastics skills in familiar/comfortable settings, like a line before moving to low beam, etc. It would be crazy to throw a brand new skill on a competition beam. What are spaces/people you feel comfortable practicing this new skill with? Can you ask your roommates to request absurd favors of you so that you can practice saying no in a safe environment, before saying no in other situations? What would that scaling process look like for you? 

I'd love to hear any other ideas from you all! 

foodmoodsnyc reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bekahwren)
Kindergym User

I became a gymnerd again just cause I heard there was a thread for therapists on the forum. LPC here in MI!! I enjoy working with anxiety, family of origin trauma, and boundaries. Psychodynamic and polyvagal are my jam. 

ReplyQuote
(@bekahwren)
Kindergym User

@michelleanklangmail-com hi Michelle/- oooo I’d love to do a zoom meet-up! Also, are you part of the religious trauma group on Facebook? I’m interested in the topic, having experienced it myself, but still too deep in processing it that I wouldn’t do it as a specialty, but maybe in the future!

ReplyQuote
(@margaret-hartmann)
Kindergym

Hi! 

I’m Margaret, LMFT in LA! I’m a clinical director at an adolescent treatment center for disordered eating. I LOVE using gymnastics metaphors and nothing brings me greater joy that helping a young gymnast overcome struggles with food and body image. 

excited for this thread!

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-becker)
Kindergym

Just wanted to echo the interest in a zoom meet up! I am always looking for strong professional referrals to send students toward, especially after they graduate and move across state lines!

ReplyQuote
(@lindsey-wilkinson)
Kindergym

Hi,

I'm an LPC in Boulder Co!

ReplyQuote
(@scattywah)
Kindergym

Hi! I'm a licensed clinical social worker in Texas. My specializations are trauma and ADHD management 🙂

ReplyQuote
Tribute2the80s
(@tribute2the80s)
Kindergym

Hi there!

LCSW in St. Louis, MO!  Currently in private practice.  Advanced training in psychodynamic psychotherapy.  

This post was modified 9 months ago by Tribute2the80s

ReplyQuote
Spencer's Eye Roll

Omggg all of those mentions of therapy on the Classics coverage!! 

ReplyQuote
(@raquelinagmail-com)
Kindergym

I know! I loved how matter of fact Simone was about the importance of therapy as a part of her training.

Are any other therapist gymnerds are going to be at nationals &/or the live show? I was thinking it would be fun to connect.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2