What Would Marta Do?
...not in any way meaning to suggest that WWMD serves as a recommendation for what to do, but it's not completely the opposite either. There may have been some method in her madness.
1) First and foremost, the "Jade Carey Situation" would never have happened on Marta's watch. Even if she had consented to allowing any of "her" gymnasts to try for an individual spot which would have put their Olympic berth beyond her control, she would have made sure there were clear ironclad rules in place that forestalled any confusion about team slots potentially going to those who had secured individual slots. Not that anyone would have dared challenge her authority by going for an individual spot anyway, rules or not.
2) Senoh uneven bars - Marta would have had a truck backing up to Midwest Gymnastics to deliver a set by sometime in November 2019 to get "her" world bars medalist training on them. (and probably another set to Riley's gym, but that became a bit of a saga...)
3) Olympic training camp - after the naming of the team this weekend, all athletes would be abducted by squads of large Hungarian-speaking men and sequestered in some sort of very large Faraday cage, cut off from outside influences, eating only 100 cal/hour of workout per day and training constantly with landings on hard surfaces so as to completely break down their bodies before they head to Tokyo. Those too broken down to compete in Tokyo would be replaced by athletes unaccountably selected from among the alternates per Marta's whim.
4) Ban "Cupid Shuffle" in all forms from the arena. Name Leanne Wong to the Olympic team to reward her reluctance to be so indecorous as to dance to it at nationals.
5) Be secretly thrilled that COVID restrictions will minimize the team members' ability to mix with other athletes at the Athletes' Village. (Though honestly, if there isn't a "tiny gymnast next to huge basketball player" photo, is it really an Olympics at all?)
...What else? What do you think Marta Would Do?
Marta (acknowledging what a terrible human she is) would have the brains and balls to actually select a team and not lie about her process for picking that team. And be straightforward.
Yes, I agree. I think there's a pretty good rationale for taking Grace. An all-arounder who can give you a usable score on any event in Team Final in a pinch is a valid way to pick your fourth team member. (in which case, choosing the next one down on the AA standings list is a rational step.) Too bad that wasn't what was presented 1) before the selection as a possible approach or 2) after selection as the reason.
I assume the gymnasts get media training. Time to get some for Tom.
But, of course, returning to the WWMD theme: Grace would have become invisible to Marta this past winter after she had the hand surgery and (presumably) stopped training vault upgrades. Not sure Myk would even be back in elite if Marta was still in the picture, either. Then we're looking at putting the GAGE girls on the team. Would Marta have used her powers for good in influencing routine construction for Kara/Leanne?