This week Jessica and Evan (Uncle Tim has laryngitis!) chat about:
- Coverage of the Winter Olympics so far (hint, O’Beirne is furious).
- Should NCAA judges be paid equally no matter where the meet is held?
- CNBC’s Soviet-born reporter translated the shocking things Russia’s “Rossiya-2 Sport” channel is saying about gymnasts and their bodies.
- The Gabby Douglas movie – an O’Beirne review.
- The latest 10s in NCAA, who was robbed of a 10 and the polar vortex takes it’s first gymnastics victim.
- Leotards that made us want to light a bonfire and dance around it until Project Runway rescues us.
- A listeners’ Valentine’s day letter of gratitude to her coaches.
- And then! The little sound bite Jessica has been saving forever! Svetlana Boginskaya and her husband tell us both sides of their love story.
Follow Svetlana on Instagram at Svetlanaboguinskaia, check out the schedule for her camp here and email her for choreography or speaking engagements at email@example.com. If you are ever in the Houston area, make sure to visit the Boginskaya-Yee family restaurant, Mazzei’s Gourmet Pizzeria in Katy, Texas.
Deadspin article about anti-discrimination message left out of NBC’s broadcast.
Tunnel Bear VPN service to watch broadcasts in other countries.
NCAA gymnastics television, radio and webisodes: Alabama, Michigan, UCLA, Georgia.
- 74: Melanie Sinclair & A Review of Cirque’s Amaluna
- Episode 17: Growing Up In The Soviet Gymnastics System And Training At Round Lake
- Episode 38: Svetlana Boginskaya
As a former male gymnast, I will say that a dance belt would be a very welcome substitution. I always wore a speedo under my competition leo but let’s be honest, a dance belt would fix what I will call a issue of “poke-iness.”
Oh man, Evan I feel you!!! I had 11 scores depending on that one meet and now I had to count 3!!!!! zeros 🙁 So mean, I wish the meet could have just been counted for that week and not for a future week when the meet actually is.
My favorite leotards are the ones the Russian juniors wore at 2012 Euros (the pink one) and the blue one Komova and Mustafina wore at the Olympic AA. They have very different body types but it worked for both of them (though I preferred it on Komova). It looked really pretty on Paseka and Grishina too. The Olympics one wasn’t from GK though, it was Bosco. So I wonder what they can do. GK has great stuff but basically everyone uses GK so I wonder if Bosco can make some really cool and different stuff.
I’ve literally never heard of anyone tanning over here (except in the summer) so Idk where you got that haha. Maybe gymnasts do though? But in general, no. I have the exact opposite feeling in that Americans seem to tan a lot haha. Not gymnasts though, again.
The tumble track commercial made me crack up so hard I choked on my lemonade.
I think that Austin’s “hungarian skin tone” comes from the tanning bed…. which is unfortunate. Luckily it doesn’t take away from her bomb vaulting skills, for which she definitely deserves a perfect ten. 🙂
Svetlana Boguinskaya’s love story is so sweet. I laughed when William said she had gone on a date with the other guy! He won out though, she married him.
It was interesting to hear your discussion on Skinner’s vault last week. I think what everyone appears to be missing about her vault is that she isn’t even VAULTING at this point. Skinner can do a double twisting double layout in floor. With her cheng she is just doing a double twisting double layout! She’s throwing that one hand on there almost for show, but because she’s not vaulting, but rather doing a tumble off the spring board, she can’t physically put both hands on the vault.
I love her as an athlete, but she’s basically just cheating the event with that vault by doing a tumbling pass!
The latest episode seems to be linked here rather than episode 76. Let me know when it’s fixed so I can listen to it 🙂 Thanks!