The No. 1 Gymnastics Podcast in the Galaxy

ArchiveGymCastic Message Board

GymCastic Message Board

The Likelyhood or U...

Notifications
Clear all

The Likelyhood or Unlikelyhood of 2021 World Championships.

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@katherine)
Jessica's Wheezegiggle
Topic starter  

In bad signs for Worlds:

The Japanese Formula 1 Grand Prix was cancelled at the request of the Japanese government because of COVID case numbers.

(@jane-doe)
Jessica's Wheezegiggle

yeah, that's tough.  

Watching all the gymnasts make their commitments (college, GOAT tour, etc) leaving us in the "who's left to go to Worlds anyway?" situation, I 100% understand.  If I were an athlete having to make a decision to commit myself to preparation for Worlds, it would be very hard to focus myself on something that seemed to be evaporating before my eyes, as this Worlds competition seems to be doing.

ReplyQuote
(@katherine)
Jessica's Wheezegiggle
Topic starter  

Yes.  For context the Japan Grand Prix would have taken place 8 days before FIG WC.

ReplyQuote
 Pia
(@life_of_pia)
Kensley's Document Binder

Something to consider is that teams in the Grand Prix travel with a lot of people. According to this page that came up in my Google search,

There are 47 operational people traveling to the races, but that excludes marketing, press, catering, so in total here we are, 67 people, going to the races." Additionally, each team carries with it 30 people just to help with preparation loading the freight — about half the team at the race.
Very different logistics to gymnastics so hopefully Worlds are still feasible.

ReplyQuote
(@katherine)
Jessica's Wheezegiggle
Topic starter  

That page is about 2012 and F1 has taken pretty radical steps because of the pandemic.  I wouldn't trust those numbers to be accurate for 2021.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.5-steps-f1-is-taking-to-ensure-racing-is-as-safe-as-possible-when-the-2020.2Hmwu17Z4SDTMDGboZ2Iac.html

"There will be a significant reduction in the personnel travelling to races from all parties, including the teams, the FIA, suppliers and F1 itself."

ReplyQuote