Club Gym Nerd members can watch the podcast being recorded and see some of the gymnastics we discuss, plus get access to all of our exclusive interviews and Behind The Scenes episodes.
Please login to your Club Gym Nerd account to listen and/or watch this episode. Not a member? Join here.
This week, the episode Jessica and Spencer have been training in the woods for their whole lives: Gymkata. In 1985’s action film spectacular, the dear departed Kurt Thomas must travel to the very real and geographically consistent nation of Parmistan to try to survive THE GAME, a totally unnecessary obstacle course where people kill you at the very beginning. We discuss:
- For a closed central Asian nation, everyone sure is American and can come and go as needed
- Very 3-dimensional female characters with clear goals and lines (JKKKKKKK)
- Men holding giant birds for no reason
- Cool technological weapons, like a…little axe?
- That thing where you find a dead body and hear a BOIYOINGGGGG sound
- The most accurate depiction of US military presence in Asia ever committed to film
- A horse just decking some dude
- An actual character named Thorg
- How Kurt Thomas is fully, unironically good at action movie
- The “Village of the Crazies” and how it gets DARK
- A guy in a white robe with the butt cut out (!)
- And of course, the iconic town square pommel horse fight: featuring RANDOM GOAT
JOIN CLUB GYM NERD
- Join Club Gym Nerd (or give it as a gift!) for access to Behind the Scenes episodes.
- Buy our awesome clothing and gifts here.
- We have a Ukraine Fundraiser design, all proceeds go to the CARE Ukraine Crisis fund.
RELATED EPISODES & RESOURCES
- Donate grips and tape for Ukrainian gymnasts
- Donate to family of Alabama volunteer assistant coach in Ukraine
- To follow the effects of the Russian invasion to Ukraine on gymnastics, go to Gymnovosti
- The Leotard Episode: Part Deux
- NCAA Championships
- 2022 Winter Cup Recap
- Spitfire: The Movie (Commissioned)
- Nadia: The Movie (Commissioned)
MORE WAYS TO LISTEN