Club Gym Nerd members can watch the podcast being recorded ((pre-edits with all the bloopers and blunders that don’t make it onto he final show) and see video clips of the gymnastics while we discuss.
THE NADIA MOVIE
Lies, lies, and more lies! For today’s commissioned episode, we watched the 1984 made-for-TV movie Nadia, a Very Highly Extremely Unauthorized biography of Nadia Comaneci, and we seriously just can’t with it. We discuss:
- Things that definitely 100% happened and aren’t lies at all, like Bela Karolyi creepily discovering Nadia at recess
- The villain of this tale: Communism
- The very important *IMMEDIATE CHOREOGRAPHED FRIENDSHIP DANCE* between Nadia and Teodora
- Interrupting the judges in the middle of Tourischeva’s floor routine (!)
- Anachronistic hair: A deep discussion
- Marcia Frederick’s stunts are the only watchable part
- This movie did Teodora Ungureanu dirty
- Is this the only gymnastics movie where the stunt work is harder than the real routines they’re portraying?
- Wait…did they turn Nellie Kim white?
- Creating the future: Did Bela reenact some of these scenes later in his career?
- Some very sensitive and thoughtful treatment of weight and suicide. Healthy and helpful. Good good.
- The moral of the story might be anorexia
JOIN CLUB GYM NERD
- Join Club Gym Nerd for access to Behind the Scenes episodes.
- Buy our awesome clothing and gifts here.
- We have masks too!
- Project K
- Project K: Decoding Romanian Secret Police Files on The Karolyis with Dr. Simona Petracovsch
- McKayla Maroney Interview
- Vanessa Atler Interview
- Mini-Commissions Hall of Fame
- Tokyo Olympics Recap
MORE WAYS TO LISTEN