Olympic gold medalist and three time World Champion, McKayla Maroney has much to share about where she has been, what happened along the way and where she is going next. She settles long debated gymternet questions and we find out what caused the physical and emotional breakdown she referred to in this video last year. We discuss:
- If she feared blowback from speaking frankly about her experiences.
- The skill she tried that Marta told her to never to do again.
- The circumstances surrounding her injuries and multiple surgeries.
- The post-Olympic tour conditions and their effects on her health.
- She answers fans suspicions that her injuries are due to poor nutrition.
- Some fans claim that AOGC break gymnasts, her thoughts.
- Did the advice she received from her coaches contribute to her injuries?
- How she dealt with self identity as she struggled to stay healthy.
- Discusses the role of humility and insecurity through the Olympic selection process.
- Does she think the men’s team should be more like the women’s program in order to be more successful?
- Dealing with criticism on social media.
- She describes her personal experiences as an elite gymnast, and their influence on changes she would like to see made at the national team level.
- Did she really have to hire bodyguards after the Olympics?
- Who does she credit with teaching her that amazing vault technique: her second coach, Howie Liang at Gym-Max or her Olympic coach, Artur Akopyan at All Olympia Gymnastics Center (AOGC)?
- Why did she go overtime in 2013 at the Antwerp World Championships on floor?
McKayla Maroney official website
- Fill your emotional chalk bucket! Positive Coaching Alliance is a national non-profit developing “Better Athletes, Better People” by working to provide athletes a positive, character-building youth sports experience. Check out their free resources and courses. There are even trainings specifically for gymnastics.
- US Olympic Committee SafeSport: Learn about the dangers of emotional misconduct in sports. Definitions and model policies to prevent emotional and verbally abusive coaching.
- Resources :
- Dr. Alan Goldberg’s article on Coaching Abuse.
- Sports phycologist and diving Olympian, Dr. Megan Neyer at Neyer Performance Strategies offers therapy and training for gymnasts and gymnastics schools.
- Safe4Athlete’s therapists referral network.
- Treatment centers for athletes with eating disorders EDRS or McCallum Place.
- 24-Hour Suicide hotline 1 (800) 273-8255
We are having our very first design contest, and your art could be Gymcastic’s newest t-shirt. Submit your best gymnastics themed art to be made into some sweet swag.
Grand Prize (x2 Winners): Your design featured on our page, your artwork on the bodies of gymnerds everywhere, and a free t shirt with your design!
How to Submit: Post your design on Instagram, Tumblr, or Twitter. Use the hashtag #gymcasticdesigncontest
FAQ and Rules here.
Club Gym Nerd is our way of saying thank you for helping us pay the bills! GymCastic members are automatically entered to win 6 awesomely gym nerdy prizes per year and get lots of perks like being able to preview this week’s big interview with McKayla Maroney. This month, one lucky member will win the exclusive, sold-out, Cloud & Victory Legends sweater below.
- 77: Aly Raisman
- Episode 48: Kyla Ross
- Episode 58: Charlotte Drury, Fall Euro Series & NCAA De-commits
- Episode 31: Elise Ray
- 148: Shannon Miller
- Episode 28: Kristen Maloney
- Episode 33: Simone Biles & Her Coaches
- 144: Counter Kim at Game of Regions 2015
- Episode 55: Worlds Wrap Up & Ferlito-Gate
- Episode 54: Event Finals Recap from 2013 World Championships
- Episode 53: All Around Finals Recap from Antwerp World Championships
- Episode 52: Triumph & Heartbreak Prelims Recap from Antwerp Worlds
- 114: Fallout From Gymnastike’s Handling of Maroney Hack & Tumble Episodes 3 and 4 with special guest Jenni Pinches!
- Episode 16: Elizabeth Price
- 146: Taylor Rice and The 2015 NCAA Championships
- Episode 9: Chellsie Memmel, Swiss Cup & FIG Presidential Proposals
- Episode 37: Julie Zetlin
- 151: Danell Leyva
- 81: Jenny Hansen
- Episode 15: Joan Ryan Author of Little Girls in Pretty Boxes