Club Gym Nerd members can watch the podcast being recorded (pre-edits with all the flubbubbs and hiccups) and see video of the routines we discuss.
No, Spencer didn’t self-commission this episode. Instead, an anonymous patron asked us for an episode all about the “professional” “gymnastics” “competitions” to “rock music” that populated the “1990s.” And we are more than happy to oblige. We discuss:
- That time Shannon Miller did interpretive floor while Vanessa Carlton played White Houses on the piano next to her. The song is all about virginity and regrets.
- Queen Kristie Phillips, the only one who understood. Like when she did a Gianni Versace/Princess Diana tribute beam routine. Or when she did a Vietnam War protest routine. Or when she did a different Vietnam War protest routine. Or that time her genie pants came off during floor.
- Being too 90s to function: Dominique Moceanu’s Titanic beam routine, and Chris Waller doing the Macarena
- Men taking their shirts off. Like all the time. And sometimes Alexei Nemov took his pants off.
- The award for most awkward – Shannon Miller’s virginity floor routine, Valentin Moguilny’s alcoholism floor routine, and Dmitry Bilozerchev’s baby rings routine
- The MAG Seven: Who cared the least about this nonsense (a tough category!) and a conspiracy theory about Shannon
- That time Elena Produnova did an ill-advised floor routine to Who Let the Dogs Out
- That time May Lee Tracy had Kim Zmeskal do a beam routine to God Bless America
- That time Svetlana Khorkina went to Disney World, and that time Ukrainians did ALL the 1994 shopping
JOIN CLUB GYM NERD
- Join Club Gym Nerd for access to Behind the Scenes episodes.
- Buy our awesome clothing and gifts here.
- We have masks too!
- 432: #GymnastAlliance
- Best of GymCastic: The Leotard Episode
- 431: 2003 Team Final (Commissioned)
- 425: GymCastic Fixes Judging (Commissioned)
- 422: Stick It (Commissioned)
- 400: 2024 Fantasy Compulsories (Commissioned)
- 368: No-No-Nunnoisms (Commissioned)