No video yet? Keep refreshing
- What we learned from Simone’s Vanity Fair interview, who’s on the FIG list of eligible non-affiliated athletes, and more follow-ups from last week on Shawn Johnson’s past addiction caused by a “bad doctor” and NCAA’s sickle cell trait testing requirements.
College Season—Week 2
- Cal is #2 in the rankings—are they the team best poised to challenge Oklahoma?
- Does it actually matter whether you’re scoring a 197.9 or a 195.9 in week 2?
- We have another entry in the “Tribute to Mom” floor routine series
- Program debuts! Clemson, Talladega, and Utica all competed in their first-ever meets
- Florida opened its 2024 season and Morgan Hurd scored career highs on beam and floor. We discuss.
- Sierra Brooks set an all-time Michigan all-around record, Konnor McClain scored a 10.000 on bars, and important LEOTARD developments
- Corrupt or Correct takes on the beam scoring at the Sprouts Quads
- The new quad-meet broadcast format: Pro or anti?
- Fantasy gymnastics: Steals of the week, injury and retirement news, and an important advisory
Correction: Simone currently works out six days a week. We mention in the show she works out four. The original article in Vanity Fair states, “By January 2023, she was back to the training schedule she currently maintains four days a week: Up at 6:20 a.m. and out the door by 6:45 for 7 a.m. practice. Home at 10:30, then lunch. She tends to her three bulldogs—Lilo, Rambo, and Zeus—then naps for an hour to an hour and a half. Then back at the gym from 2 to 5 p.m. Thursdays and Saturdays are half days, Sunday is off.”
We’re happy to report we were correct about her naps.
More With Club Gym Nerd
- Join Club Gym Nerd (or give it as a gift!) for access to weekly Behind The Scenes episodes, dedications, mini-commissions and group commissions
- Club Gym Nerd members get access to all of our exclusive extended interviews, Behind The Scenes and College & Cocktails episodes.
- More goodies:
- Live Show Virtual Season Pass
- 2024 College & Cocktails menu (including cocktails of course)
- GymCastic newsletters
- GymCastic Fantasy Gymnastics League
- Merch: clothing and gifts for the gymnast or gymnastics fan in your life and even “tapestries” (banners perfect to display in an arena) to support your favorite gymnast
RESOURCES & CITATIONS
- Fisk University roundtable discussion with the six black female head coaches in college gymnastics
- NCAA Pre-Season Power Rankings
- Spencer’s The Balance Beam Situation
- Gymnastics History and Code of Points Archive from Uncle Tim
- Follow the effects of the Russian invasion to Ukraine at Gymnovosti
- The Highest D and E scores from The Gymternet
- Men’s Gymnastics coverage from Kensley Neutral Deductions
MORE WAYS TO LISTEN HERE