Who: Shannon freaking Miller!!!! will be our Book Club guest in May.
Deadline: Send in questions by May 6th.
How: Order the book here, read it, treasure it forever, then send your questions for Shannon to us at email@example.com or by voicemail at (415) 800-3191/Skype “GymCastic Podcast”
Stanford junior, Taylor Rice, joins us to discuss the 2015 NCAA Championships. Taylor is known for having a different hair color at every meet, being more trouble than Tasha Schwikert for her coach/mother Cassie Rice during her youth at GymCasts and having been the first woman in NCAA history to compete a man wipe. We discuss:
- Where did the inspiration for her back-dat-twerk-tastic floor choreography come from? That’s So Raven.
- How early is too early to commit to a college?
- What did Stanford do to change their results so drastically from the last few years.
- Why didn’t she ever go the elite route and what she learned from Tasha Schwikert
- Will Stanford be able to work a tree pose into their floor routines next year?
- The changes would she like to see to the NCAA.
- The heartbreak:
- What does UCLA need to do differently in order to gain their former team glory?
- The Beam-tastrophy that was the LSU prelim session and how many times are hearts broke.
- Was Lindsay “Precision” Mabel Khorkina’d after starting on vault and getting a lowely 9.85.
- Gym-Myth Busters: It was true that the fiberglass was falling off of the bars?!
- We revel in the joy of two fantastic all-around champions, Kytra Hunter and Sam Peszek; fair and well deserved!
- The haters, the disadvantage of being the defending champions.
- Are judges afraid to be the first to give a 10?
- The floor curse. Beam isn’t the difficult event to start on anymore–floor took Oklahoma out of the Super Six finals.
- The exciting finish between Utah and Floirda coming down to the very last routine and half a tenth.
- Our favorite moments from Championships:
- Ivana Hong getting her gymnastics on and scoring well!
- Gymnasts who have improved in college.
- Auburn qualifying for Super Six for the first time in 22 years.
- Taylor Rice’s all-comedy floor routine.
- Sam Peszek’s standing full on beam!
- Rules changes we need for 2016:
- Allow judges to take the quarter tenth deduction.
- Make the regular season matter more.
- Top 5 finishers receive All-American honors. It’s not enough to just qualify.
- Required single bar release.
- Teams must perform at least one vault from each of the three vault entries: tsukahara/kazamatsu, front handspring and yurchenko.
- Make the post-season matter: you should have to win something before Super Six.
- Four on the floor final, get rid of the Super Six.
- Event Finals:
- No upgrades in vault finals that we hadn’t seen during season.
- We overwhelmingly agree on the floor finals.
- NINA McGEE!
- 90: The 2014 Women’s NCAA Championships! Plus details from the Ljubljana World Cup, Korean Meet and Romania takes on Belgium and France
- 87: NCAA Regionals, Russian Nationals & Miss Lloimincia Hall is discovered
- 82: Cottbus, English Championships & Danusia Francis finally gets a 10 on beam!
- 69: 2009 World Champion Kayla Williams & Alabama’s Sarah Patterson
- 84: Meet Recaps! Jesolo & NCAA Conference Championships88: Rhonda Faehn & Mackenzie Caquatto
- 135: The Duchess of Stalderland
- 134: 409 Wins Restored, Lives Still Ruined
- 137: Lady Lisa Mason
- 136: Full Out Syndrome
- Episode 16: Elizabeth Price
- 145: Rheagan Courville
- 144: Counter Kim at Game of Regions 2015
— SILVER FOX (@tayloraterice) April 19, 2015
— Jennifer Pinches (@jempin515) April 18, 2015
Watch this week’s playlist on YouTube here.