Archives for September 2020
Club Gym Nerd members can watch the podcast being recorded (pre-edits with all the flubs and hiccups) and see video of the routines we discuss.
- Jessica talks about the Alyssa Beckerman episode
- Gymnast Alliance: Ellie Downie’s weight-shaming complaint was “not upheld” and multiple gymnasts disclose issues at Cincinnati under MLT. Kensley has some thoughts on MLT’s Bible defense.
- Gymnastics is Coming Back! Spencer previews what we’re excited for at the upcoming Japanese Championships, Chinese Championships, and Szombathely World Cup. Meanwhile, Anastasia Motak’s beam from Ukrainian Nationals is the new president.
- Spencer watched the Andreea Raducan documentary Golden Girl and is bursting to tell you everything about it
- The latest on men’s NCAA gym and its slow march toward death:
- The weekly “Chellsie Memmel is our only hope” update
- Thoughts on USAG’s tentative women’s calendar for 2021
- Maggie Haney is…still working with gymnasts?
- Jordyn Wieber won’t attend the USAG Hall of Fame induction
- And a new gymnastics docuseries is coming!
JOIN CLUB GYM NERD
- Join Club Gym Nerd for access to Behind the Scenes episodes.
- Buy our awesome clothing and gifts here.
- We have masks too!
- Best of GymCastic: The FluffCast (Commissioned)
- Best of GymCastic: Vanessa Atler Interview
- 438: Agree to Disagree
- 437: Lineup Racism?
- 436: 2000 Women’s Team Final (Commissioned)
- 435: Let’s Talk about Terin
MORE WAYS TO LISTEN
Originally published on July 15, 2017. It’s the commissioned episode you’ve all been waiting for…the FLUFFCAST! We jump into all the most insane, hilarious, horrifying, sexist, perfect, amazing, diva-tastic, butterfly-gazing, Romanian candle-holding fluff pieces in the history of gymnastics broadcasts. Thank you so much to Fluff Feels for commissioning the episode we were born to do, and thank you to everyone who sent in suggestions!
- 2000 Olympic All-Around fluff
- NBC’s Living-Parents Championship, starring Russian daddy issues and soldiers kidnapping Zamo.
- Prod’s shaved eyebrow
- Prod’s convertible flexing fluff, the only verifiably true fluff ever
- The legendary Romanian candle cups
- Elise Ray and the butterfly
- NBC’s weird obsession with 1950s-style nuclear families
- 2000 Atler v. Dantzscher v. Beth Rybacki’s tears
- 1996 Kerri Strug lives in everyone’s shadow fluff
- Is this the most sexist fluff of all time?
- Jessica’s expletive parade
- Invention of the Bechdel Test for gymnastics fluff pieces
- “A diva is magical”
- That time Khorkina was perfect in every way
- Was saying, “I want to win as much as I want to mother my own child” really such a big deal?
- 1994 Romanian terrifying fluff of horrors
- The twist ending and the LITERAL DEAD BODY
- Trouble with keeping communist narratives straight
- NBC’s fascination with Romanian people’s eyes
- 1995 Moceanu fluff
- 1992 Bogi and her coach fluff
- How respectfully and maturely do we think NBC handled the issue of suicide?
- Bogi has no time for family or your sexist coach narratives
- Kim Kelly gets bumped
- Blurry smoke-filled rooms! Shadiness!
- “Who’d they drop?” “You, Kim.”
- Mohini delivers pizzas (1) (2)
- Why let fact get in the way of narrative?
- Important question: what are raffle bars?
- The most upsetting and bizarre fluff you will ever see
- A lesson on which issues should never be addressed in fluff pieces
- Elvire Teza 1998
- More fun with racist Chinese music!
- Why we want to move to France and live with the French team
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- Join Club Gym Nerd here with brand new membership tiers, commission your own episode, or commission your own segment.
- Buy some of our awesome merchandise here.
- 257: The Daniels Report
- 256: 1996 Olympic All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 255: 1996 Olympic Team Final (Commissioned)
- 254: Vanessa Atler
- 200: Alicia Sacramone
- 197: Betty Okino
- 187: McKayla Maroney
- 38: Svetlana Boginskaya
- 31: Elise Ray
- 28: Kristen Maloney
- 19: Andreea Raducan
- 17: Growing Up In The Soviet Gymnastics System And Training At Round Lake
- 225: 1992 Olympics Recap with Wendy Bruce (Commissioned)
- 185: 2008 Olympic All-Around Finals (Commissioned)
- 252: Myths, Legends, and Unexpected Moments in Gymnastics History (Commissioned)
MORE WAYS TO LISTEN
BEST OF GYMCASTIC
Originally released in June 2017. Vanessa Atler is an American treasure and fans have loved her from the moment they first saw her elegant power. She’s a multi-time national champion, multi-World Cup champion, Goodwill Games event champion. She would probably have made the 1996 Olympic team had she been age eligible. She was one of those gymnasts for whom nothing ever worked out the way it should have and fans hearts broke along with her through the 1996-2000 quad. We discuss:
- Why she requested the interview with us
- Her thoughts on age limits and specialists (13:10)
- Elements she worked on but never competed (19:25)
- Dealing with emotions and tears of frustration
- The Comaneci-Salto & The Rybackis – (22:34)
- Why didn’t she just take the Comaneci out of her routine and win all the things?
- Beth and Steve’s differing opinions on bars
- What worked and didn’t work with the Rybackis
- How being at Charter Oak effected her own coaching
- Did she seek counseling or therapy? (31:01)
- Her early online presence… and her mom’s (32:50)
- Epic fluff from 1997 on Vanessa’s online diary
- 1999 Goodwill Games and Sang Lan’s vault accident (34:43)
- Why she left the Rybackis (39:00)
- The real story behind the ankle injury (47:57)
- Why she did not train with Bela Karolyi (50:47)
- The letter Larry Nassar said USAG received about him that caused him to be banned from the Ranch (52:16)
- Pre-2000 Olympics, moving to WOGA (1:00:01)
- What did and didn’t work for her with Valeri
- How Valeri helped make her more confident on bars
- Weigh-ins (1:04:29)
- 2000 Olympic Trials
- When an agent gets into the mix: where the “you didn’t make the team because you were fat” rumor came from (1:08:35)
- Bela told her he’d put her on the team
- Did she try and compete after 2000?
- What are her feelings toward gymnastics now?
- Being on the realty show “Starting Over”
- Outside influences: family members and agents
- The decision to turn professional
- Fibromyalgia after her motorcycle accident
- Dealing with anxiety and food
- Talking about her support for the defendants in the Larry Nassar case (1:36:00)
- Worlds in China: Nassar asking who wanted a cortisone shot without parental consent and alone in room (1:39:36)
- What she overheard during a coaches meeting through the walls of a hotel (1:44:11)
- Would she want her son to participate in elite gymnastics?
- What she does to keep gymnastics fun for her gymnasts
- What are her upcoming plans… is another book in the works?
- What are her thoughts on the Nassar situation and USAG today?
- How terrible the food was when she was at the Ranch for national team camp (2:00:11)
- The group message exchange asking for support for Nassar (2:02:04)
- Asking for help for her bulimia and being told to do what it takes (2:03:55)
- Witness her amazing beam skills.
- Her floor at the height of her awesomeness.
- Vanessa Atler blog and diary
- Vanessa Atler Children’s Book: Let the River Flow
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- Episode 15: Joan Ryan Author of Little Girls in Pretty Boxes
- Episode 17: Growing Up In The Soviet Gymnastics System And Training At Round Lake
- Episode 31: Elise Ray
- Episode 28: Kristen Maloney
- Episode 33: Simone Biles & Her Coaches
- 187: McKayla Maroney
- 163: ENOUGH
- 246: Kathy Johnson Clarke Regionals Preview
- Episode 56: Preventing Abuse in Gymnastics
- 63: Doctor Larry Nassar
- 245: Steve Penny is GONE
- 244: Russian Nationals & Gymnix 2017
- 243: Senate Bill 534
- 242: Standards
- 241: The Pittsburgh Incident
- 240: Chalkography
- 239: Elite Canada, Reykjavik & NCAA
MORE WAYS TO LISTEN