This week’s guest is Danna Durante (née Danna Lister). She grew up as an elite gymnast in Oklahoma. After the 1988 Olympic Trials she went on to a successful career at Arizona State where she scored 5 perfect 10’s, then became a judge and college coach. She had a very rocky start at the University of Georgia. It was easy to see that the team was still loyal to outgoing coach Jay Clarke and reluctant to embrace a new head coach. But in her first year, she lead Georgia to their first NCAA Championship final in four years. Entering her second year at Georgia, we discuss:
- If she will be wearing sequence gowns and heels like her predecessor Suzanne Yoculan.
- Lindsey Cheek’s vault – fans want it to get a 10 already for crying out loud!
- Collaborating on choreography with Georgia alum, Cassidy McComb
- How she got her very divided, Jay Clarke devoted team on board when she took over.
- If former head coach Yoculan stays in touch or gives counsel.
- Creating a welcoming environment for both atheist, agnostic and religious student-athletes.
- How she determines when to push the difficulty level with athletes like Brandi Jay who’s doing a full-out on floor.
- How her college boyfriend made a gym-fantasy marriage proposal come true.
- Making a gymnastics coach marriage work.
Danna Durante on Twitter.
Danna Durante (Lister) 1988 Olympic Trials article and results.
- Episode 27: Tricia Woo – An Artistic Gymnast Finds Her Home in the Circus
- 69: 2009 World Champion Kayla Williams & Alabama’s Sarah Patterson
- 81: Jenny Hansen
- 70: The 2014 NCAA Season Has Begun!
- Episode 10 : Greg Marsden
- Classic Episode – UCLA’s Miss Val
Joe Durante proposes to Danna Lister at a gymnastics meet.
This week’s playlist includes Danna as an elite, some of her greatest gymnasts.
2013 Georgia GymDog Show Playlist