An all-interview episode with 1988 Olympic alternate at the Seoul Games and Florida head-coach, Rhonda Faehn. She is a super gym-nerd, just like us. We discuss:
- Competing at World Championships with no ligaments left in her ankle.
- The pile of injuries that led to her injury-retirement from UCLA.
- How she met her super-hot, French, tennis coach husband at Florida.
- What was Rhonda thinking as her team made uncharacteristic falls at Regionals.
- What it was like living away from home with Phoebe Mills and then the Kristie Phillips family.
- Being a Karolyi Kid; one of the first crop of gymnasts to train with Nadia’s coaches when they first came to the US.
- If there were any perks, like extra leo sparkles for becoming national champions.
Mackenzie Caquatto won a silver medal with the US team at the Rotterdam World Championships in 2010. Then she became a key player at the University of Florida and led the Gators to their first ever, national championship.
- Can having a boyfriend actually improve a girl’s gymnastics?
- Choosing artistic gymnastics over rhythmic gymnastics.
- The injury that ended her elite career and landed her in a wheelchair two years in a row.
- How college improved her consistency and confidence on beam.
- How her elite coaches and college coaches worked together to help her reach her goals to compete for the US.
- Her suggestions for improving the team dynamic in elite gymnastics to improve the confidence and experience of elite gymnasts.
Announcement! The first ever GymCastic Meet-up is happening at the NCAA Championships. Come join us for a drinky-poo and gym-nerd out with your people!
When: 3:30-4:30 on Saturday, April 19th before Super-Six Finals.
Where: Todd English Pub, right behind the parking structure at BJCC arena. It’s only a three minute walk to the meet from here. The address is: 2221 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N, Birmingham, AL 35203.
- Episode 18: Bridget Sloan
- 83: University of Georgia Head Coach Danna Durante
- 75: Classic Episode – UCLA’s Miss Val
- 69: 2009 World Champion Kayla Williams & Alabama’s Sarah Patterson
- Episode 23: Lloimincia Hall & The American Cup