In the news, Uncle Tim and Jess chat about:
- The $10,000 leo awarded to Ukrainian’s Angelina Kysla
- The genius of the Mexican Open marketing and the US juniors, Bailie Key and Laurie Hernandez
- Oleg Verniaiev finally lives up to his potential at the Stuttgart World Cup
- Mustafina’s new beam series, Peyton Ernst’s nerves, Elizabeth Price’s killer Amanar, Sophie Scheder luxurious bar set and John Orozco’s vault issues.
- The terrifying bar dismounts of Tatiana Nabieva and Yao Jinnan in Stuttgart.
We discuss the very latest from around the gymternet:
- The gymnastics coup d’etat: Azerbaijan recruiting Anna Pavlova and Yulia Inshina to compete for them instead of Russia.
- Speculation on the true reasons for Oksana Chusovitina return to Uzbekistan.
- McKayla Maroney on the TV show Bones, this Friday December 6th.
- How to play in the world’s only Fantasy Gymnastics league! Follow them on Twitter @FantasyGym and use #FantasyGym to talk smack. Draft period is December 7-28. Don’t miss the deadline. This is so freakin’ cool!
- The greatest gym nerd gift guide in the entire world, made by us.
Jessica, 100% of the national team leos have Swarovski crystal embellishments. The leos with crystals down the sleeves can be uncomfortable to many of the gymnasts so I’m told. Swaroski crystals are used in jewelry, knickknacks (like little animal statues), and more. It’s an Austrian company. http://www.swarovski.com/Web_US/en/index
Good to know! Thank you. I’ve since learned that these reflect arena lighting very well and are therefore favored. – Jess
How tall is Ebee? Because she looks taaaaall as hell. I looked it up and it said she was 5’2 last year but no way in hell is she only 5’2..
How much CV do Onos to Healys etc get? Because on men’s high bar they used to be .2 and were now .1 I believe. So tbh I think they should do that with UB… Maybe have like a turns to release .2 CV but a turn to turn .1 CV or something..
Also, about Anna’s citizenship… Russia does not recognize dual citizenship, so as long as she still lives in Russia, she is considered a Russian citizen and she would need to travel on her Russian passport, as far as I know. I don’t know what Azerbaijans laws are. But they probably have exceptions for athletes.
Ebee is 5’3″.
Yes, I read this the same way, she’ll have two passports. http://stpetersburg.usconsulate.gov/dual-nationality.html – Jess
Either Marta or the gymnast’s coach selects which leo is worn in competition. Gymnasts on the national team are required to wear a national team leo when they compete for the US. When they compete at Classics or P&G Championships they do not wear a national team leo. When they compete at Olympic trials they are required to wear a national team leo but can select (their coaches) which one to wear.
The girls on the national team received 7 leos for this competitive season (post P&G championships). The 7 leos include 5 shades of pink, 1 red, and 1 purple. Those who competed earlier in the year (at American Cup, Jesolo, Germany Friendly) also received the pink and silver leo Simone wore at both the American Cup and the World Championships and the red one worn at the Germany Friendly. Between these competitions, World Championships, Mexico Open, and the Stuttgart World Cup I believe you have seen them all .
YAAAS Ms. Cordelia Price! You broke that all the way down! I hope you comment here more often to give us the skinny, and be sure to tell Ebee congrats and the gymternet loves her (if she didn’t know that already).
Cordelia is the best!
I love the episodes without interviews! I like to hear your opinions and meet recaps.
That’s great to know! Thank you for the feedback!