In the news, Jessica, Spanny Tampson, and Lauren Hopkins chat about:
- The most important innovator on vault of all time, Natalia Yurchenko gave a fantastic interview which made us wonder if more cultural context is needed when commentary is given about the Russian gymnast’s sideline
- Who we are most excited to see at the American Cup and why Mai Murakami is going to win floor according to Jessica.
- NCAA (19:00)
- Why aren’t there more head coaches of color in the NCAA?
- Heroes of the week: Alex Marks (OU), Kennedy Baker (FL), Mikaela Gerber (UCLA)
- The Yurchenko 1.5 situation
- Can someone interpret Charity Jones (OU) floor routine for us?
- Which team we’d buy a workout video from because their conditioning is insane!
- Gymternet News (49:00)
- Afanasyeva has ankle treatment in Munich
- Why do all the Russians have to go to Germany for medical care?
- Nica Hults got a 10 on beam while Simone Biles cheered like crazy and Chusovitina intimidated the judges at the Texas Prime meet.
- The US men wore culturally appropriate bathing suits on their trip to Rio, and shocker, the world responded with joy!
- Where we’d send the US women for international training camps like the men have.
What: One lucky listener will have their very own unique skill or routine written into book two of the Lauren Hopkins 2016 trilogy.
How: Tag us in your routine (5 skills) or skill invention with #2016trilogy on our Facebook page or Twitter. For example, “1.5 twisting Shapahnikova catch in reverse grip to immediate Geiger @GymCastic #2016Trilogy”
Prize: A copy of Lauren’s book, “Finding Our Balance”
Deadline: Enter by midnight on Sunday, Jan 24th
- 181: Hipster Team 2016
- Elites and the NCAA
- Take me! The Listener Survey
- 180: Flamethrowers, the must-have accessory for 2016
- 179: Aliya’s Ink
- 178: Eythora Thorsdottir and Coach Patrick Kiens
- 177: Stella Umeh