Club Gym Nerd members can watch the podcast being recorded and see video clips of the gymnastics while we discuss.
2000 Olympic Trials
This week, we have a group commission from Brianna, Stephanie, Atwood, Laura, Karla, and Emma, all about [deep breath] the collective nightmare that was the 2000 Olympic Trials. We discuss:
- The breaking news that there actually was official selection criteria, and it was technically followed.
- The significance of 2000 Trials as the worst thing that has ever happened ever, the controversy of the selection process, the low point this represented in athlete-first commentary, and just…the Bela of it all
- Shannon’s comeback
- What if Atler had been able to compete on the “new” vault?
- The way the commentators talk about Alyssa Beckerman
- The infamous Rybacki fluff piece
- DLO + Punch front
- Shannon’s vault injury
- BEIGE DRAPES
- Steve Nunno’s performance piece
- The Moceanu sadness forest
- Why they selected the team they did, and was it the right call?
JOIN CLUB GYM NERD
- Join Club Gym Nerd or buy a gift membership for access to Behind the Scenes episodes.
- Buy our awesome clothing and gifts here.
- We have masks too! And Pride gear!
- The History of Olympic Trials Controversies
- Shannon Miller
- Shannon Miller Part 2
- Vanessa Atler
- Jamie Dantzscher
- How to Stage a Gymnastics Protest
- Tokyo Olympics Recap
MORE WAYS TO LISTEN