This week’s episode is commissioned by Club Gym Nerd member Beth, who commissioned a sequel to our first show all about the biggest myths, legends, and unexpected moments in gymnastics history because there were just too many to pack into a single episode the first time around. Thank you for letting us do this, Beth!
- But first, Jessica’s greatest dream has FINALLY come true in this week’s Club Gym Nerd episode dedication!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE x100000000.
MYTHS AND LEGENDS
- Myth Un-Busted??? The latest, secret information about Soviet pregnancy doping
- Is there really a real-life skill called the Miller? Or did NBC lie to us? (BOTH!)
- Did Verona van de Leur really leave gymnastics to become a porn star?
- Bonus: More gymnastics nudity “scandals” than you ever wanted to know about!
- Did Title IX really kill men’s college gymnastics?
- Is there really such a thing as the international look? Or did NBC lie to us?
- Did Armine Barutyan really do a double layout beam dismount?
- Is the American Cup really the SCAMerican Cup?
- Will she really “never get those scores internationally”?
- Did a Soviet gymnast’s tampon really fall out during her floor routine?
- Did Cristina Bontas’s saliva really make Yang Bo fall in the 1992 beam final?
- When the pommel breaks off in your hand
- When Bela was so obsessed with pissing off Ellen Berger that he almost costs Mary Lou her gold medal
- Bonus: Which barnyard animal did Bela compare Ellen Berger to in 1988?
- The many (many) (many) fractures of the 1992 Olympic team
- Dominique Moceanu gets emancipated from her parents, and her dad hires a hit man to kill her coach
- Gymnastics in the bath?
- The magical changing age of Hong Su Jong
TUMBL TRAK GIVEAWAY
Whether a gymnast from birth or starting at age 50, a handstand is something most gymnastics enthusiasts have at least tried. Send in your story of a funny or embarrassing handstand moment (the more embarrassing the better), and you could win a $200 Tumbl Trak gift certificate!
- Open to Club Gym Nerd members only
- Deadline: December 3rd
- Send your story to email@example.com with the subject line: Tumbl Trak Handstand Story
- The person with the funniest or most hilariously embarrassing handstand story will be chosen as the winner
- This episode is brought to you by Hello Fresh! Visit hellofresh.com and use promo code Gymcastic30 to save $30 off your first week of deliveries.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- 252: Myths, Legends, and Unexpected Moments Part 1 (Commissioned)
- 279: A Diva Is Magical: The Svetlana Khorkina Episode (Commissioned)
- 278: 2000 Sydney All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 262: 1996 Olympic Event Finals (Commissioned)
- 256: 1996 Olympic All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 255: 1996 Olympic Team Final (Commissioned)
- 258: The Fluff Cast (Commissioned)
- 228: Leotards (Commissioned)
- 225: 1992 Olympics Recap with Wendy Bruce (Commissioned)
- 185: 2008 Olympic All-Around Finals (Commissioned)