This week’s episode was commissioned by Club Gym Nerd member Bella, who asked for an episode about all things Svetlana Khorkina: the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- Part 1: Getting philosophical with the question, who is Svetlana Khorkina?
- The height. The hair. The diva. The queen. The drama. The “villain.”
- Part 2: The good
- The champion – 7-time Olympic medalist; 20-time world medalist; 47 medals across Euros, worlds, and Olympics
- The innovator – 7 eponymous skills, at least one on each event. We pick favorites.
- The artist – all-time favorite Khorkina floor routines.
- A diva is magical
- All-time best Khorkina moments
- Part 3: Chatting with Luba
- Part 4: The bad and the ugly
- The 2000 Olympic Team Final meltdown
- The definitely real, vast international gymnastics conspiracy against Svetlana Khorkina
- Why Khorkina is basically if tumblr were a person
- Her not-great reaction to the AA silver in 2004
- Khorkina wisdom
- On how success feels: “I didn’t feel anything, apart from maybe when I was on the top podium and they were underneath.”
- On modesty: “I changed people’s attitudes. It’s very good to be sexy. My career made it clear that tall girls can do incredible things. I opened the way. Now I’m famous all over the world.”
- On dealing with disappointment: ”I will leave what happened on the vault far behind me, like the North Pole.”
- On ewww: ”Age isn’t important to me. ‘You know they say a man sometimes prefers older women because they can satisfy him more. It’s the same in gymnastics.”
- On losing graciously: “I’ve seen a much tougher opposition than her. Let’s see how long she can remain on top. Can she keep going and compete in two more Olympics like myself?”
- Part 5: Is Svetlana Khorkina the greatest gymnast of all time?
- The all-time world/Olympic medal chart
FURTHER CRAZY-QUOTE READING
- Khorkina’s 2007 interview with The Guardian.
- New York Times on Khorkina’s reaction to the 2000 Olympic debacle
- Khorkina’s tirade after the 2004 all-around from ESPN
- New York Times on Khorkina’s 2004 swan song
- Slate’s tribute to Svetlana the Great
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- 278: 2000 Sydney All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 262: 1996 Olympic Event Finals (Commissioned)
- 256: 1996 Olympic All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 255: 1996 Olympic Team Final (Commissioned)
- 258: The Fluff Cast (Commissioned)
- 252: Myths, Legends, and Unexpected Moments in Gymnastics History (Commissioned)
- 228: Leotards (Commissioned)
- 38: Svetlana Boginskaya
- 17: Growing Up In The Soviet Gymnastics System And Training At Round Lake