This week’s episode is commissioned by Club Gym Nerd member Courtney, who commissioned an episode all about the Sydney women’s all-around final saying simply, “Because I know the gymternet has feelings.” We sure do. Thanks for letting us do this, Courtney!
- Russia drama! (Because of course.) Produnova is pulled from the final in favor of Zamolodchikova. Jessica doesn’t have feelings about it at all.
- Watch along with us here competition video
- NBC’s fluff and obsession with father figures and male influence. (See: The Fluff Cast.)
- The vault is probably fine.
This trash competition
- Why the meet was cursed right from the start.
- Several minutes discussing Kristen Maloney’s shiny silver leotard, because of deep and important thoughts.
- Elise Ray’s SCARIEST vault warmup of all time.
- Why did some people struggle with the low vault and others not? We have theories.
- KHORKINA and the difference between artistry, elegance, carriage, and actual execution.
- Maria Olaru, how she’s basically treated like garbage, and NBC’s super inappropriate comments.
- Jessica and Spencer disagree about a certain vault and whether it’s hideous or not.
- The improvement in Chinese floor routines from 1996 to 2000.
- Elise Ray doing all three Rays in one bars routine.
- Why Viktoria Karpenko is one of the greatest gymnasts ever to live.
- Extensive feelings about what SHOULD have happened when the problem on vault was discovered, and why what actually happened was very, very wrong.
- Should the entire meet have been redone?
- Should everyone have been made to vault again?
- How do we account for people making other mistakes after vault?
- Are there any actual, better rules in place should this situation happen again?
- Khorkina’s post-vault bars routine and whether the vault issue made her fall on bars.
- One woman with the scariest job in the entire world.
The meet continues
- Yang Yun’s beautiful foot-ography and a very rare, very special Spencer Rage-o-Meter about Al’s racist floor music comments.
- Everyone who’s leading has to collapse Part 7: Yelena Zamolodchikova.
- The most bizarre score of the entire meet (spoiler alert: it’s a Romanian bars routine).
- Everyone who’s leading has to collapse Part 8: Viktoria Karpenko.
- Al rooting for Lisa Skinner to chuck a dangerous vault she’s never done before.
- Andreea Raducan’s glory rising to the top above this trash heap.
- Andreea Raducan stripped of her medal for testing positive for a substance found in cough medicine that is no longer even banned.
- Whether we recognize the stripping of Raducan’s medal. (We don’t).
- In 2010, Dong Fangxiao was found to have been underage and her results nullified.
- The ridiculous inconsistency in the application of age rules.
The big question
- If the vault had been set correctly, who would have been on the podium?
- This episode is brought to you by Hello Fresh! Visit hellofresh.com and use promo code “Gymcastic30” to save $30 off your first week of deliveries.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- 19: Andreea Raducan
- 31: Elise Ray
- 28: Kristen Maloney
- 262: 1996 Olympic Event Finals (Commissioned)
- 256: 1996 Olympic All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 255: 1996 Olympic Team Final (Commissioned)
- 258: The Fluff Cast (Commissioned)
- 254: Vanessa Atler
- 252: Myths, Legends, and Unexpected Moments in Gymnastics History (Commissioned)