This week, it’s the commissioned episode you’ve all been waiting for…the FLUFFCAST! We jump into all the most insane, hilarious, horrifying, sexist, perfect, amazing, diva-tastic, butterfly-gazing, Romanian candle-holding fluff pieces in the history of gymnastics broadcasts. Thank you so much to Fluff Feels for commissioning the episode we were born to do, and thank you to everyone who sent in suggestions!
- 2000 Olympic All-Around fluff
- NBC’s Living-Parents Championship, starring Russian daddy issues and soldiers kidnapping Zamo.
- Prod’s shaved eyebrow
- Prod’s convertible flexing fluff, the only verifiably true fluff ever
- The legendary Romanian candle cups
- Elise Ray and the butterfly
- NBC’s weird obsession with 1950s-style nuclear families
- 2000 Atler v. Dantzscher v. Beth Rybacki’s tears
- 1996 Kerri Strug lives in everyone’s shadow fluff
- Is this the most sexist fluff of all time?
- Jessica’s expletive parade
- Invention of the Bechdel Test for gymnastics fluff pieces
- “A diva is magical”
- That time Khorkina was perfect in every way
- Was saying, “I want to win as much as I want to mother my own child” really such a big deal?
- 1994 Romanian terrifying fluff of horrors
- The twist ending and the LITERAL DEAD BODY
- Trouble with keeping communist narratives straight
- NBC’s fascination with Romanian people’s eyes
- 1995 Moceanu fluff
- 1992 Bogi and her coach fluff
- How respectfully and maturely do we think NBC handled the issue of suicide?
- Bogi has no time for family or your sexist coach narratives
- Kim Kelly gets bumped
- Blurry smoke-filled rooms! Shadiness!
- “Who’d they drop?” “You, Kim.”
- Mohini delivers pizzas (1) (2)
- Why let fact get in the way of narrative?
- Important question: what are raffle bars?
- The most upsetting and bizarre fluff you will ever see
- A lesson on which issues should never be addressed in fluff pieces
- Elvire Teza 1998
- More fun with racist Chinese music!
- Why we want to move to France and live with the French team
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- Join Club Gym Nerd here with brand new membership tiers, commission your own episode, or commission your own segment.
- Buy some of our awesome merchandise here.
WHAT: #BeerWithBetty: The Greatest Scavenger Hunt in the Galaxy!
PRIZE: The winner will share a beer (or root beer if you are under 21) with the great Betty Okino, Olympic and World medalist, creator of the triple turn on beam, and a member of the Precision Choreography team.
HOW IT WORKS: In August, we will release a list of 10 items on this photo scavenger hunt. Your mission will be to complete each one and post a photo to Twitter or Instagram tagging @GymCastic and @PrecisionChoreo and using #BeerWithBetty. The winner will be selected at random among everyone who completes all ten items. The hunt will start at 8am on Thursday August 17 and will end at 12pm on Saturday, August 19. The winner will meet with the Betty Okino at 3pm that day! If you enter, be READY FOR BETTY because winner will meet this gymnastics legend at 3pm that day!
PLUS: We will give six additional prizes for Most Outrageous photos! The top three most outrageous photos on Friday will win a personal voice message from one of Precision Choreography’s gymnastics stars (people like Chellsie Memmel, Alicia Sacramone, Houry Gerbesian, and Holly Vise)! The top three on Saturday will get a special shout-out on the GymCastic podcast.
BUT WAIT: Before this contest starts, we need your help coming up with the scavenger hunt list! Please tweet us your suggestions using #BeerWithBetty from now until July 31. Something like socks with sandals, overused beam poses, someone over 50 doing the splits. We will give you full credit for any suggestions we use!
- 257: The Daniels Report
- 256: 1996 Olympic All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 255: 1996 Olympic Team Final (Commissioned)
- 254: Vanessa Atler
- 200: Alicia Sacramone
- 197: Betty Okino
- 187: McKayla Maroney
- 38: Svetlana Boginskaya
- 31: Elise Ray
- 28: Kristen Maloney
- 19: Andreea Raducan
- 17: Growing Up In The Soviet Gymnastics System And Training At Round Lake
- 225: 1992 Olympics Recap with Wendy Bruce (Commissioned)
- 185: 2008 Olympic All-Around Finals (Commissioned)
- 252: Myths, Legends, and Unexpected Moments in Gymnastics History (Commissioned)