15 Posts
11 Users
7 Likes
GymCastic
(@gymcastic)
Produnova's Eyebrow Admin
Topic starter  

MAG Team Final

To submit a question before the show you can do it here or e-mail GymCastic@gmail.com. Many times listeners wish to keep their identity private and e-mail is the best way to request that; also, listeners might want to surprise their fellow gym nerds with their stories/questions by having them be read for the first time on the show. This forum is merely another avenue to submit your question/comments... not the only one. To submit a question during the live show, click on the video title, which will take you to YouTube. While the recording is live YouTube has a sidebar with a field to submit questions.

You will be able to watch the show live: TK

(@bailey_formergymnast)
Spencer's Eye Roll User

What is Tom Forster's facebook? Jessica mentioned his daily updates and I would like to see them.

Thanks, Bailey

ReplyQuote
(@fancy-meeting-you-here)
Spencer's Eye Roll

Hello! I was wondering a few things. Thanks for doing the podcast, you all have made my understanding so much better!

1. Are they not allowed to have different bars settings? We never saw the coaches changing them. 

2. How were towels approved? It seems so unsafe and ineffective, as they just get bunched up. 

3. We haven't heard from Riley in a while and I am worried about her. Is she OK? Also she hinted at one day sharing her experiences for everyone and I could not be more excited. 

4. I heard it mentioned that Cecile went as Simone's personal coach and Laurent went as Jordan's. Had that been switched around, would anything have changed?

Thank you!

The one with too many questions (as you can tell). 

GymCastic reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jane-doe)
Jessica's Wheezegiggle

1)  Will Tom expense to USAG the flowers he sends to the French basketball team in gratitude for their upset of USA BB supplanting the USA WAG quals in the news?

1b)  speaking of expensing...  Could visits to Mykayla be Tom's way of expensing his trips to visit his brother?

1c)  Will gastroenterologists who watch NBC's gymnastics coverage be able to bill Simone's insurance for endoscopy?  Or maybe the NBC cameraman with the nostril-cam isn't an in-network provider?

2)  More serious question:  How is Event Final start order determined?  Is it reverse of standings?  or random draw?  

People keep speculating about if Suni needs the full 6.8-D routine to go for the gold.  Depending on start order, she may know before she goes if she *needs* to go for it or not.  I presume the same considerations might apply to Jade's 3DLO and/or Simone's YDP and beam dismount.

GymCastic reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lmghall)
Spencer's Eye Roll User

What kind of resume does it take to be national team coordinator/high performance coordinator? I feel like we on the gymternet like to say, "Make Aimee NTC, make Brian Carey NTC, make Cecile Landi NTC..." but is that the only thing required? To be a good gymnastics coach? Is there any other experience required? Or are our suggestions legitimately realistic?

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lmghall

GymCastic reacted
ReplyQuote
panda cookie
(@pandacookie)
Kensley's Document Binder

Please talk for just a few minutes about that Paul Ruggieri tweet about looking up to Marta. (Sorry, Martha). Peyton Ernst was not having it.

GymCastic and Lisa G. reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lisa-gilson)
Kindergym

This is a terrible question because it is not a question, it is a comment — and it isn’t even a comment about the Men’s Team Final (although I’m super excited to watch!).

My comment is: the highest scoring team of USA women, by far, would have been Simone, Suni, Jade, and MyKayla. Not only would that have been the highest scoring team, but their scores would have placed them *ahead* of ROC’s score by +.786 (their team score would have been 172.415 to ROC’s 171.629). That is close to two full points ahead of where the USA team actually was. So if Tom Forster hadn’t been an ass about Jade’s Olympic qualification and had he not used the other individual spot as a way to (try to) screw over Jade, and had he actually done his job & selected the team with the highest scoring potential (while also being transparent about the selection criteria!), the USA team would not be in the position it is in now — with no real cushion for falls during the team final. 

On the one hand, I hope that this mess will make Forster get his act together. If it did that, then maybe last night will actually be productive for USAG. On the other hand, I wasn’t born yesterday, so I know that the idea that Forster/USAG would learn the right lessons from last night is a pipe dream. Instead, Forster will just continue to spew dangerous and offensive comments, like the idea that the inevitable consequence of an “athlete-centered” (read: not horrifically abusive) approach is the USA team performing below expectations. And, without fail, people like Paul Ruggieri will chime in to echo Forster’s insinuations. I am so, so worried that if team USA does not get gold, people will think: if you want gold, you must intimidate, humiliate, overwork, and silence gymnasts. You must treat them as though they are expendable and retaliate against them if they dare to question anything.

The point of this long rant is to insist that that view *could not be more wrong*, and the scores from last night prove it. USAG could have had a team that qualified in first, but *Forster* decided not to select that team. If the USA team does not win gold, it is not on the new “athlete-centered” environment, it’s on Forster.

ReplyQuote
(@j-parker-adair)
Spencer's Eye Roll

@lmghall I kind of feel like I could do this job. I’d surround myself with people who know what they’re doing, and I would t say stupid stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@j-parker-adair)
Spencer's Eye Roll

What will it take for the men to be competitive on the world stage? Do we need to completely scrap NCAAs and just go to club? We aren’t even close.

GymCastic reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yunusmollah)
Spencer's Eye Roll

Question 1 - Spencer, while it's almost unquestionable that bringing ZBH would have led to a higher score for CHN, would it have resulted in CHN winning?

Question 2 - Spencer, Arthur D was apparently discussing being subbed in by David B for FX. Would ROC have still won?

Question 3 - Jessica, how bad is that injury going to get as he ages? Should he become friends with RSG and YHS so they can recommend some good doctors?

GymCastic reacted
ReplyQuote
Sean McDonough
(@seanmcdonough1gmail-com)
Kindergym

Hello, 9 year listener here!

Two Questions:

-Do you think the US men benefited from watching Russia hit their routines right before and after them each time?  I keep wondering that if Sam knew another Russian was coming after him on floor, he wouldn't have flopped onto his back. 

-also, does Russia, China, Japan fund their team deep, like 20 or so guys?  The USA doesn't even seem to fund their competing alternates or national team members all the time - how could they possibly build a competitive team?

Thanks, Sean, NY

This post was modified 3 years ago by Sean McDonough

ReplyQuote
(@paola-gamarra)
Spencer's Eye Roll User

Why was Yul in the PB line up vs Brody? USA lost to GBR by more than a point, though. Are there other places where the line up didn't make sense? I couldn't fully pay attention because work but the ending was TEARS

ReplyQuote
(@paola-gamarra)
Spencer's Eye Roll User

Also why did the NBC streaming coverage end before the awards ceremony is that normal?? I don't usually watch the ceremony so idk but I really wanted to this time.

ReplyQuote
(@paola-gamarra)
Spencer's Eye Roll User

If we talk about the women at all (sorry Kensley) did you see the Nina got the highest execution score for every event except vault? It's making me worry about bars final. Also - if Chenchen hits does Simone has a chance? Seems like a big gap even if you add 0.6 for two 0.3 steps on the dismount plus the double double she's in the silver position. Does Jordan have higher scoring potential on bars than Grace? Grace got a higher difficulty and adding back the 0.5 for brushing the mat to Jordan's E she's still behind (though she did seem to give up on the dismount and step a few times too many). Jordan seems to have higher scoring potential on beam given Grace's low score for a relative hit, but is she going to get into her own head. Are the 3 Russians going to hit beam again? That + the new cheng were equally as responsible for this upset as the USA mistakes tbh

ReplyQuote
(@paola-gamarra)
Spencer's Eye Roll User

Which USA finalist has the best chance at a medal? Would you we say their chances are between Suni medaling on beam and Simone medaling on bars?

ReplyQuote