19 Posts
15 Users
4 Likes
GymCastic
(@gymcastic)
Produnova's Eyebrow Admin
Topic starter  

WAG Team Final

To submit a question before the show you can do it here or e-mail GymCastic@gmail.com. Many times listeners wish to keep their identity private and e-mail is the best way to request that; also, listeners might want to surprise their fellow gym nerds with their stories/questions by having them be read for the first time on the show. This forum is merely another avenue to submit your question/comments... not the only one. To submit a question during the live show, click on the video title, which will take you to YouTube. While the recording is live YouTube has a sidebar with a field to submit questions.

You will be able to watch the show live: TK

(@lmghall)
Spencer's Eye Roll User

What kind of resume does it take to be national team coordinator/high performance coordinator? I feel like we on the gymternet like to say, "Make Aimee NTC, make Brian Carey NTC, make Cecile Landi NTC..." but is that the only thing required? To be a good gymnastics coach? Is there any other experience required? Or are our suggestions legitimately realistic?

ReplyQuote
(@ilona)
Kindergym

Thoughts about this statement:  If the US Women do not win the Gold Medal in the team, it is 100% Tom's fault.  Backup to this statement: Based on the qualification round, the US women have done their jobs.  Simone and the other women (not girls) are human and sometimes make mistakes (just like gymnasts from other countries).  It is not the judges fault if they are consistent in their scoring across the board.  The only person to blame for NOT doing his job is Tom.

ReplyQuote
(@jessica-rotteveel)
Spencer's Eye Roll User

GYMTERNET! 

Right now we need a call to arms.  Please go on all socials. Including tik tok and support Simone. We can control this narrative so let’s do it. Simone is human and is hurt. Let her rest and let the other girls go. We are okay. We got this. 

commenting in 2nd rotation so do not know results right now russia leads by more than two. But all results are okay. One bad meet does not take away from what our women have done for the past decade. Win or loose today we still are one of the best teams in the world. 

ReplyQuote
 sdub
(@weathesj)
Kindergym

Posted by: @jessica-rotteveel

commenting in 2nd rotation so do not know results right now russia leads by more than two. But all results are okay. One bad meet does not take away from what our women have done for the past decade. Win or loose today we still are one of the best teams in the world. 

Commenting around the same time to say a very similar thing: please, please, PLEASE can we stick with the positive, supportive tone that Gymcastic is tweeting out right now and leave the discussion about Tom and USAG and their various screw-ups for another day? What each of these gymnasts has achieved deserves to be recognized free of that baggage, especially under difficult circumstances like this. Thanks, guys. <3

This post was modified 3 years ago by sdub

ReplyQuote
 Pia
(@life_of_pia)
Kensley's Document Binder

If a gymnast who has qualified for AA withdraws, and someone from the same country was 2 per countried out, would the spot of the gymnast who withdraws go to the 1st reserve athlete, or to the athlete who was 2 per countried out of the final?

GymCastic reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jessica-rotteveel)
Spencer's Eye Roll User

Furthermore I would just like to remind everyone that gold medal favorites or not a silver medal at the Olympic Games is still a silver freaking medal at the Olympic Games. They should be proud and we should be proud of them. Tokyo has been cursed first by COVID and now by this mess of a team final. Our girls still went out and represented and they fought and they won. Even if it wasn’t the medal we wanted. 

Sheila reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yunusmollah)
Spencer's Eye Roll

What can be said about arguably the three programs with the greatest history of abuse are all on the podium together?

I have a lot of admiration for all of the girls, but I'm worried that this would encourage coaches to act in the worst possible ways.

ReplyQuote
(@david-smith-8418)
Kindergym

Is Simone scratching going to somehow let TF off the hook for this result? It's not a given that the US would have won even with Simone. ROC came in with a better strategy and better preparation, and it pains me to give Valentina credit.

ReplyQuote
(@chad-s-connallyme-com)
Kindergym

Simone would be / would have been at all points in her career a million % justified to just have said: ENOUGH! I'VE HAD ENOUGH! and to have walked away from the sport and the literal dumpster fire that USAG has been and still continues to be. 

That said... I hate to see someone not live out their dream b/c of trash people at USAG. What can she do to settle herself down before her other finals? Should she go out and compete again?

ReplyQuote
(@sheilaviegas64)
Kindergym User

can you speculate on what might happen if Simone doesn’t do beam vault floor or bars . New two per country- would MyKayla get a chance. What about the British twin who was 9th for floor.

GymCastic reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chad-s-connallyme-com)
Kindergym

Separate topic... I thought the US reign was coming to an end and that there would be consequences (in terms of the results) from all the organizational and cultural problems with USAG.

Honestly, I thought they would get away with it through this Olympics and then we'd start to see athletes from other countries (like) win AA at worlds starting in 2021 and other teams winning gold in the team event with 2022.

Certainly, I think the US will be competitive bc of the talented athletes we have. But, I don't think any one at USAG or the USOC knows how to not-be-trash-like-Marta and still win. It's an either / or with them that leadership needs to resolve. Again, back to culture 

ReplyQuote
(@dani-kennedy)
Kindergym User

@life_of_pia I have the same question!  If Simone doesnt do AA will she be replaced by Jade or the first reserve (Lieke Wevers)??

This post was modified 3 years ago by Dani Kennedy

Pia reacted
ReplyQuote
Kathryn Foessel
(@kathryn-foessel)
Jessica's Wheezegiggle

Do you think Simone is having ptsd or flashbacks of some kind to the abuse? (From both Nassar and the Karolyis?) That’s the first thing that came to mind.

ReplyQuote
(@jose-maldonado)
Spencer's Eye Roll User

Simone is officially a fairy god mother. Each time she pulls from an event she grants dreams. These women have trained their entire lives for a gold they never thought possible. Gold was destined for Simone. Imagine the excitement they all now feel, knowing that Simone has decided to control destiny by releasing her grip on the Gold.

My question is: What new dream come true story will fill us all with those good feelings Jessica so loves? I love to dwell on all the possibilities.... Andrade, Lee, Carey, Lu, Tan

This post was modified 3 years ago by Jose Maldonado

ReplyQuote
(@bex)
Kensley's Document Binder

Is this routine the inspiration for Nina's floor? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0A4-2HmHE0

🤣

ReplyQuote
(@fancy-meeting-you-here)
Spencer's Eye Roll

I LOVE Shawn Johnson, but the timing of her pregnancy announcement was a little weird. She went totally quiet for over a week and announced it right when the US got silver. Do you guys think this is a coincidence? 

ReplyQuote
Spencer's Eye Roll

Am I the only one who thinks that it was actually good to have Grace on the team? I always supported her being on the team because she is a good, consistent all arounder. But, I think that if Mykayla was on the team (I love her, talking about her as a gymnast, not a person), they may not have gotten silver. Also what did you guys think of MyKayla's husband's Instagram story post about her not being on the team? 

ReplyQuote
Spencer's Eye Roll

Do you guys think that because of how this Olympics went for Simone, she'll be back in 2024?

ReplyQuote