15 Posts
13 Users
1 Likes
GymCastic
(@gymcastic)
Produnova's Eyebrow Admin
Topic starter  

WAG AA Final

To submit a question before the show you can do it here or e-mail GymCastic@gmail.com. Many times listeners wish to keep their identity private and e-mail is the best way to request that; also, listeners might want to surprise their fellow gym nerds with their stories/questions by having them be read for the first time on the show. This forum is merely another avenue to submit your question/comments... not the only one. To submit a question during the live show, click on the video title, which will take you to YouTube. While the recording is live YouTube has a sidebar with a field to submit questions.

You will be able to watch the show live: TK

(@jodi-miller)
Kindergym User

Team final question. Taking grace over skinner for team - would they have gotten bronze had it been skinner?  They ended up needing grace on events skinner isn't as good. 

ReplyQuote
(@diana-thorne)
Kindergym User

When Simone & co were deciding what to do during the Team Final, was Tom Forster involved? On the broadcast it looked like he was just watching from the stands?

ReplyQuote
(@tiki_boy82yahoo-com)
Spencer's Eye Roll

This is a team finals question about preparing all athletes on the team to be ready to go up in Team Finals, with 3 up 3 count. We saw the other day with Simone withdrawing from the rest of the team final, that Jordan Chiles was thrust out to compete bars and beam and she hadn't been in the line up originally and hadn't warmed up those events earlier, and only got the 30 second warm up before competing, the same with Suni on Floor (by the way I'm so excited and impressed with how they were able to handle the last minute change.) Shouldn't it be a change in the way Team USA trains for the Team Final by having the whole team train all events, incase this happens again? Remembering back to 2004 a similar thing happened in the beam rotation in the team finals when Courtney Kupets was pulled out to have her achilles checked out and Mohini was thrown out there to compete in her place and she hadn't warmed up beam that day and the commentators said they didn't think she had done a beam routine since qualifications, and she rocked that routine! I just feel like its time that everyone trains to be ready for whatever might happen...unless there's some sort of rule preventing this? just some thoughts I needed to get out! LOL

ReplyQuote
(@felicia-girardi)
Kensley's Document Binder

I saw on twitter that simone is “coaching” myk on vault…..did Bruce and Lisa leave Tokyo already? 

ReplyQuote
(@funkwhite2003)
Spencer's Eye Roll

My social media feeds have been full of peoples opinions of Simone and their feelings towards her. Many have been supportive and understanding, while many have not. Those that are not supportive say that an Olympic athlete should expect the pressure, and should not be leaving a competition and their teammates because they are "nervous". I try to describe and explain to them it is more than nerves, and pressure. For instance having the "twisties" and losing her air sense has made it unsafe for her to do her skills.  With her stepping back and taking care of her body and mind she has possibly prevented major injury to herself. Had she been pressured to push through and not been listened to we could have had very different headline news about her. Could it have been beneficial to "non athletes"  and people who only follow every 4 yrs to have a more definitive term to describe Simone's problem? Instead of a blanket Mental Health reason. Some still place the stigma to mental health, expecting people to just get over it and move on. I think many of these on news feed only saw or heard the first statement by USAG and Simone saying she wasn't physically hurt, that it was a mental issue to discredit her decision. Those of us that follow more closely and are more knowledgeable of the sport can understand why she made the decision she did and why it was the right one. 

ReplyQuote
(@lisa-gilson)
Kindergym

@jodi-miller If you use MyKayla's scores from qualifications & swap them in for Grace's scores in the team finals, MyKayla's scores would have put the team +0.3 points ahead of where the team actually ended up (with Grace competing). So, no, they wouldn't have gotten bronze with MyKayla - they would have done marginally (but not significantly) better with MyKayla but still would have gotten silver.

That said, you never know how things would go had different decisions been made. I'm so impressed with all of the team USA gymnasts, including Grace, for how they coped with the last-minute changes and pressure!

ReplyQuote
 Cara
(@curtis-cara)
Spencer's Eye Roll

As someone who didn't make it very far in gym: can the twisties be 'contagious'? As in, does it ever happen that a teammate/someone nearby having the twisties psyches others out and causes them to have similar issues? Have been wondering how Simone's situation has been impacting the rest of the US team (and possibly others) mentally. Thanks! So impressed by y'alls ability to stay awake and coherent through all of this!

ReplyQuote
(@jodi-miller)
Kindergym User

@lisa-gilson for sure and I like that they picked grace because her strengths were different and needed with Simone out. I am glad jade proved herself too. 

Lisa G. reacted
ReplyQuote
Sorator
(@sorator)
Spencer's Eye Roll

Silly q: If a kinda-tucked kinda-piked shape is a "puck", what's a kinda-laid-out kinda-piked shape?

I submit it's "layike," and my friend said ""plaked."

ReplyQuote
Sean McDonough
(@seanmcdonough1gmail-com)
Kindergym

Greetings!

Can you please address the VAULT E-SCORES.  

Carey and Andrade should have at least 0.5 separating them on those Chengs.  Andrade was superior.

The oob penalty is besides the point - Andrade was robbed on e-score.  The height, the form, the landing.  Carey was wild by comparison, not horrible, but not close.  

Thanks 

ReplyQuote
(@maggie-zeman)
Kindergym User

Hi - a couple questions!

Women's AA - How did Urazova possibly score lower than a 9.0 E score on beam? That was the closest to perfection so far, I think!

Men's AA - On the podcast yesterday you said that Xiao Ruoteng got 0.3 ND for not saluting and 0.1 ND for "failure to Dorothy". On the NBC broadcast they showed him up on the podium before Nagornyy went on HB, pumping and cheering, and NBC indicated that the 0.3 was for that. Do you know where the deduction came from?

My husband wanted to know if Nagornyy would have gotten a neutral deduction if he had punched Xiao....do you know if there is a ND for violence?

One more thing - Pod won AA in 95 Worlds, not 96. But she did win 96 Euros! 96 Worlds was just EF!

Thank you for bringing us this amazing coverage and setting the tone for how gymnasts should be treated and how gymnastics should be commentated!

ReplyQuote
(@kathleen-luckett)
Kindergym

Please help me understand what even was beam scoring at this meet?? I was confused by the E scores for most athletes. Where are these deductions coming from? Ring positions? Artistry deductions?? Look with your special eyes and help me understand!

Also, any other MD PhD gymnerds out there??

Katie

ReplyQuote
(@kathleen-luckett)
Kindergym

@funkwhite2003 I agree that for non gymnasts, including fans and journalists, just writing/reading headlines that Simone is out for a "mental health issue" doesn't at all give you the full picture of what happened to her in team final. I was excited to see coverage like the Washington Post's article about the twisties to help explain to people the concept of air awareness, why it's important when you're vaulting in the air and flipping 2.5 times 10 feet off the ground, how it can be so dangerous if you start losing it. I think these articles have done a great job of explaining how the twisties can be a problem with being too much "in your own head", ie a "mental health problem", but with a hugely consequential physical manifestation. But yeah I'm hearing was too much commentary like "well Michael Phelps competed with 'mental health' problems, he didn't quit." 

ReplyQuote
 Pia
(@life_of_pia)
Kensley's Document Binder

Firstly it's Life of Pia (Pee-aa), not Pi (like the book).

Can we please talk leotards?

Do you know if the athletes get their own custom leos for the individual finals? Would they have the same ones and have to rock-paper-scissors who gets to wear them?

Do they get extra for "just in case" (ala Jade in AA)? 

ReplyQuote