This interview was released December 5th 2013. US national team member, Maggie Nichols, told USA Gymnastics about being abused by Nassar in June 2015. As of this update in January of 2018, she is the first known person to tell USA Gymnastics…. Then Rachael Denhollander, became the first survivor to go public in the Indy Star with accusations against Nassar in September 2016. It turns out that former doctor, Nassar had been abusing girls and women all the way back to the 1990s. And theses brave girls had been telling authorities all along, but they weren’t believed.
Larry Nassar is now a convicted pedophile and child pornographer who will spend the rest of his life in jail. This episode makes us feel guilty, sick and embarrassed but we will never take it down. Why? Because it may be one of the few interviews of it’s kind, one with a serial child molester before he was caught. It shows how easy it is to groom adults, like us and our listeners (look a the comments section), and people in power, people who should have known better, including the USOC, USA Gymnastics, former USAG President Steve Penny, Martha Karolyi, former Chairmans of the Board Peter Vidmar and current Chariman Paul Parilla. Listen to survivor impact statements at the sentencing hearing here.
Want to know who see’s everything at The Ranch? Who runs the room where Kyla Ross said cameras should follow the team if they really want to see where the action is at camp. Who we would pick if we were going to pick a doctor to take care of our kids while they traveled around the world flipping at speeds that would make an astronaut jealous? It’s USA Gymnastics Team Physician, Larry Nassar, A.T.C. He’s a professor, a certified athletic trainer, an osteopath and one of the most caring human beings you could ever hope to meet. A blunt, honest, experienced professional who tells it like it is. He can do that because he’s so compassionate. This interview originally aired on December 6, 2013.
- What Marta calls him about the most.
- What it was like to be part of the 2000 Olympic “hell”
- Dealing with parents who will not accept responsibility for their child’s health
- The one change he would make in order to prevent injuries
- What injustice the International Olympic Committee commits against gymnasts
Why The Ranch is no longer- as the fans formerly called it- “Death Camp”[2018 update: now it has a much worse nickname]
- Changing the camp culture to prevent athletes and coaches from hiding injuries
- Gym Myth Busters injury edition: ACLs, Achilles, & Shawn Johnson’s knee injury
- Episode 56: Preventing Abuse in Gymnastics
- 163: ENOUGH Marvin Sharp episode
- Episode 15: Joan Ryan Author of Little Girls in Pretty Boxes
- 221: Jane Doe vs. USAG Doctor
- US Olympian Files Sexual Assault Lawsuit Against US Team Trainer/Physician
- 227: Jane Doe2 Sues Karolyis
- 277.5: McKayla Maroney Alleges Abuse from Nassar
- 245: Steve Penny is GONE
- Manifesto For Change
- 281.5: Aly Raisman Comes Forward As Nassar Victim
- 287: Simone and Maggie Too
- Recap Ep. 286: Cover your eyes and silently scream
- 286: Cover Your Eyes and Silently Scream