IN THE NEWS
In the news, Uncle Tim, Spencer, and Jessica chat about:
- All-time greatest Hero vs. Villain match-ups in gymnastics
- What gymnastics costumes do you really hope we see for Halloween
- Best gymnastics in a movie that is NOT a gymnastics movie
- Our declarations for the incoming FIG President
- GymCastic elections
- Gymternet News: (37:22)
- Books releases
- Maroney photo hacker sentenced
- Peggy Liddick’s job is available.
- Kyla Ross adjusting to college
- USA Gymnastics makes men’s team leadership overhaul:
- Kevin Mazeika loses his Marta job.
- USA Gymnastics statment on USOTC resident men’s coach, Vitaly Marinitch, “USA Gymnastics has reviewed the needs of the men’s resident program, including concerns that have been shared, and felt a change was necessary at the U.S. Olympic Training Center program in Colorado Springs. When this was discussed with Vitaly Marinich, he chose to resign.”
- New Lawsuit against Larry Nassar, the Karolyis, USA Gymnastics, current president Steve Penny, past president Robert Colarossi, and the gymnast’s personal coaches, Galina Marinova and Artur Akopyan. (59:10)
- Women’s Health article details how disturbingly common sexual assault by doctors is.
- Geza Pozar re-confirms Romanian team accounts of beatings by Karolyis in ESPN Outside the Lines Report
- The second lawsuit has pushed the listeners over the edge to rage. (1:20:45)
- THINX period underpants review. THINX absorb up to two tampons’ worth of blood, yet they look and feel like a regular pair of underwear. (1:26:00)
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- 185: 2008 Olympic All-Around Finals (Commissioned)
- 74: Melanie Sinclair & A Review of Cirque’s Amaluna
- 59: What it’s like to be a Cirque du Soleil Talent Scout
- Episode 38: Svetlana Boginskaya
- 148: Shannon Miller
- Episode 15: Joan Ryan Author of Little Girls in Pretty Boxes
- Episode 17: Growing Up In The Soviet Gymnastics System And Training At Round Lake
- 187: McKayla Maroney
- 186: Amanda Borden
- 177: Stella Umeh
- 77: Aly Raisman
- Episode 48: Kyla Ross
- Episode 41: Laurie Hernandez & Coach Maggie Haney
- Episode 31: Elise Ray
- Episode 28: Kristen Maloney
- Episode 19: Andreea Raducan
- 223: Tasha Schwikert
- 221: Jane Doe vs. USAG Doctor
- US Olympian Files Sexual Assault Lawsuit Against US Team Trainer/Physician
- 220: Get Your Random Trash Aerial Off My Lawn
- Episode 56: Preventing Abuse in Gymnastics
- 163: ENOUGH
- 210: Women’s Podium Training at the Rio Olympic Games
Regarding best gymnastics in a non-gymnastics movie, I was hoping you would mention my personal favorite: Gamera in \”Gamera vs. Guiron.\” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gvrgwiRQUk). Monster turtle does high-bar routine, hits a handstand, dismounts, and salutes the judges. Perhaps the most unexpected gymnastics routine ever.
This high bar routine was truly innovative and ahead of its time.
I still love Spencer even though he is a Halloween grinch.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire features some pretty awful random gymnastics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D06a47hcd2w.
Vanessa Atler vs. Comaneci!
My favorite band when I was a teenager had gymnastics in their movie tribute to the stupidity of high school. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJ-KeJzSyg
Rock\’n\’Roll High School starring the Ramones
I am not sure if deleted scenes that should have been but were not used count. This scene is the best ever: https://youtu.be/A0FpFMTbnfI . You need this in your life.
Khorkina\’s autobiography is called Somersaults in high heels and was published in Russian only in 2008.
Another great gymnastics moment is 7 brides for 7 brothers. Men do beam, do weird break dancing and back flipping. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TygmMPbwfjA
Speaking of giants on high bar in films what about kevin bacon in footloose. (probably a stunt double)
Biographies I\’d love to read would be Vanessa Atler, Jamie Dantzscher, Tabitha Yim among so many others
Vitaly resigned on his own the same way the Baylor football coach did. It’s true that it wasn’t about anything that has been printed in the Indy Star, but everyone in gym knows that Vitaly likes to get drunk and, when he does, he gets inappropriate. Happened with one of the National Team guy’s wife/GF and that’s why he lost his 2010 World head coach spot. That and other similar, but less public, incidents, coupled with the scrutiny USAG is under now is why Vitaly couldn’t stay.
Ok. I\’m listening this in 2020. But, Pamela Anderson for the Super Pac!!!