This week, we have a special episode commissioned by InterGalactic Champion level Club Gym Nerd member Dee, who requested an episode all about our favorite floor routines ever! We’re so, so happy to oblige.
HERE is the YouTube playlist of all the routines we will be commenting on in the episode. We’ll tell you when to press play, so you can watch along with us as we die of pretty (or hilarity). Plus…
- The word “artistry”—how we feel about using the A word and how we personally define artistry in gymnastics floor routines
- What qualities characterize our favorite floor routines
- Why we won’t shut up about Netherlands floor
- The importance of keeping floor exercise weird
- How subjective qualities like artistry can be evaluated numerically when determining scores
- Why aren’t choreographers the stars of gymnastics?
SUPPORT THE SHOW
FURTHER READING ON THE BALANCE BEAM SITUATION
European Championships Team Selections
National Team Rankings – July 2018
- 312: 4th Is the New 1st (Commissioned)
- 311: Tom Forster Is the New Martha
- 310: Suspension and Sabotage
- 309: Perfect Form – The O’Beirne Code (Commissioned)
- 308: 2004 Olympic All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 306: Gymnastics Fails (Commissioned)
- 304: The GymCastic Olympics (Commissioned)
- 281: Myths, Legends, and Unexpected Moments PART 2 (Commissioned)
- 279: A Diva Is Magical: The Svetlana Khorkina Episode (Commissioned)
- 278: 2000 Sydney All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 262: 1996 Olympic Event Finals (Commissioned)
- 258: The Fluff Cast (Commissioned)
- 256: 1996 Olympic All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 255: 1996 Olympic Team Final (Commissioned)
- 252: Myths, Legends and Unexpected Moments in Gymnastics History (Commissioned)
- 228: Leotards (Commissioned)
- 225: 1992 Olympics Recap with Wendy Bruce (Commissioned)
- 185: 2008 Olympic All-Around Finals (Commissioned)
MORE WAYS TO LISTEN
I would say one of the reasons why a Choreographer isn\’t seen as important in Women\’s Gymnastics is because floor is only a quarter of what the Gymnasts do. Whereas in Ice Skating everything they do is to music so there is always going to be more emphasis on the actual dance elements. You touched on Acro and Rhythmic as being more Artistic than Artistic Gymnastics but again that is because they only compete with music so are able to spend more time on the dance side of things too. I know I did a lot more Ballet training when I was doing Rhythmic than I ever did as an Artistic Gymnast.
I loved Elena Shoushunova\’s 1988 Team Event FX. It had drama and commitment.
Camelia Voinea\’s 1997 was entertaining and modern.
Aisha Gerber\’s 2006 American Cup had wonderful choreography.