IN THE NEWS
- The Gabby Tweet Heard ‘Round the World (1:00)
- What was wrong with Gabby’s response to Aly’s post about victim shaming and why so many people are angry about it
- How her teammates responded
- Gabby’s apology
- Our thoughts on the whole mess
- And then just as we were about to post, late breaking news: Gabby Douglas came forward as Larry Nassar victim.
Aly Raisman’s book, Fierce: How Competing for Myself Changed Everything, was released last week. We talk through all of our feelings about it as a gymternet family.
- Why this is the best gymnastics book ever written for this age group
- USA Gymnastics does not come off well. At all. It’s awesome.
- The post-Olympic tour is a hellscape
- Aly’s experience with Larry Nassar is quite telling about exactly how this went on for so long and the very understandable reasons that victims don’t speak about their experiences
- We need to talk about this mysterious Fran character
- Why the section about nutrition is a MUST-READ for all elite and NCAA coaches and gymnastics parents.
- Seriously. Read it right now. GO!
- Also check out Episode 230 to learn about the WellnessFX program
- All the other sweetest, funniest, standing ovation moments we loved
GYMTERNET NEWS (1:26:45)
- British Gymnastics athletes are taking a stand against the organization!
- Why a group of athletes, including Max Whitlock, Ellie Downie, Amy Tinkler, is currently declining to sign new contracts with British Gymnastics
- The athletes have some very familiar concerns about lack of transparency in terms where the money is going and an overall culture of fear and favoritism
- Why gymnastics needs a union
TUMBL TRAK GIVEAWAY
Send in your story of a funny or embarrassing handstand moment (the more embarrassing the better), and you could win a $200 Tumbl Trak gift certificate!
- Open to Club Gym Nerd members only
- Deadline: December 3rd
- Send your story to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Tumbl Trak Handstand Story
- The person with the funniest or most hilariously embarrassing handstand story will be chosen as the winner
Norbert’s is giving away a four-foot sectional beam!
- To win, just email us at email@example.com with the subject line “I want the Norbert’s beam” and tell us…that you want the Norbert’s beam
- Deadline: November 25th
- While you visit norberts.net to fantasize about that glorious little beam, check out NORBERT’S Gifts For Gymnasts Feature. Order by Dec 1st to receive your item by Dec 24th.
- For a 10% discount enter code “Gymcastic” at checkout when you visit norberts.net.
This episode is brought to you by Spencer’s literal obsession, Simple Contacts. To renew your contact prescription online (in five minutes, without visiting the eye doctor) and order your new contacts, visit simplecontacts.com/gymcastic and use the promo code “gymcastic” to save $30 off your purchase.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- 281.5: Aly Raisman Comes Forward As Nassar Victim
- 77: Aly Raisman
- 277.5: McKayla Maroney Alleges Abuse from Nassar
- 187: McKayla Maroney
- 230: The Good News
- 281: Myths, Legends, and Unexpected Moments PART 2 (Commissioned)
- 279: A Diva Is Magical: The Svetlana Khorkina Episode (Commissioned)
- 278: 2000 Sydney All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 257: The Daniels Report
- 245: Steve Penny is GONE
- 243: Senate Bill 534
- 242: Standards
- 241: The Pittsburgh Incident
- 227: Jane Doe 2 Sues Karolyis
- 221: Jane Doe vs. USAG Doctor
- 163: ENOUGH
- 56: Preventing Abuse in Gymnastics
- 15: Joan Ryan Author of Little Girls in Pretty Boxes
Laughing so much at your Marta impression. I used to read Blythe all of the time and I thought she just disappeared!!
Not what you guys were referring to specifically, but for the record Nastia did what might be called a toe-on stalder hecht from low to high at the end of her 2008 bar routine. You can see her touch her feet to the low bar on the footage of her Beijing AA and EF bars if you watch closely. Weirdly she only does it on that final stalder hecht, on the one immediately after her mount her feet are normal.