Club Gym Nerd members can watch the podcast being recorded and see some of the gymnastics we discuss.
Please login to your Club Gym Nerd account to listen and/or watch this episode. Not a member? Join here.
THE BEST COLLEGE GYMNASTS YOU’RE NOT WATCHING
This episode has been commissioned by the Courtney Bumpers Fan Club, where we discuss the college gymnastics things we don’t talk enough—past, present, and future (?)
- Vault: Elites Could Never Edition, starring Kendall Whitman and Allison Zuhlke
- GymCastic Mythbusters: “Increasing difficulty requirements makes smaller teams less able to contend”
- A Moment in History: The single best beam routine in the history of college gymnastics, the single best mount in the history of college gymnastics, and the single best movement quality in the history of college gymnastics
- On the importance of one-knee elements, backspins, and Korbuts
- Elizabeth Culton: When is she getting a 10?
- Discussion: Leotard bonus, is it real, why does it happen, and what do we do about it?
- QUIZ: Gymnasts, firsts and records you should know about that Hope Spivey Sheeley’s famous rewind floor routine at Georgia.
- More important than the Gym Slam, the QuadraDiva: A gymnast who has won four or more of the five individual college gymnastics titles (all-around, vault, bars, beam, floor)
- Discussion: Going viral. Can it happen for gymnasts from smaller schools?
- Plus, why we need to talk about gymnasts Ariana Castrence, Emerson Hurst, Nika Takagi, Emma Milne, and Kendal Knaps.
- JOIN CLUB GYM NERD
- Join Club Gym Nerd (or give it as a gift!) for access to Behind the Scenes episodes.
- Buy our awesome clothing and gifts here.
- We have masks too!
- Tricia Woo
- Project K
- The History of Romanian Gymnastics (Commissioned)
- Carly Patterson’s Album Interpreted & Dave Tilley PT Gymnastics Myth Busters
- 368: No-No-Nunnoisms (Commissioned)
- 367: Shawn and Nastia: From Feud to Friendship (Commissioned)
- 365: 1988 Olympics Team Competition (Commissioned)
- 364: 80s Fight! (Commissioned)
- 327: 1993 NCAA Nationals (Commissioned)
- 325: Olympics of Difference Makers (Commissioned)
- 313: Best Floor Routines EVAH! (Commissioned)
- 312: 4th Is the New 1st (Commissioned)
- 309: Perfect Form – The O’Beirne Code (Commissioned)
- 308: 2004 Olympic All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 306: Gymnastics Fails (Commissioned)
- 304: The GymCastic Olympics (Commissioned)
- 281: Myths, Legends, and Unexpected Moments PART 2 (Commissioned)
- 279: A Diva Is Magical: The Svetlana Khorkina Episode (Commissioned)
- 278: 2000 Sydney All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 262: 1996 Olympic Event Finals (Commissioned)
- 258: The Fluff Cast (Commissioned)
- 256: 1996 Olympic All-Around Final (Commissioned)
- 255: 1996 Olympic Team Final (Commissioned)
- 252: Myths, Legends and Unexpected Moments in Gymnastics History (Commissioned)
- 228: Leotards (Commissioned)
- 225: 1992 Olympics Recap with Wendy Bruce (Commissioned)
- 185: 2008 Olympic All-Around Finals (Commissioned)
MORE WAYS TO LISTEN
Is the new 10.00 vault a Phelps? Named after 1996 US Olympian Jacie Phelps? It sounds like that is was you are describing. Exciting!!
According to the Wall Street Journal in March 2021, “fewer than 10% of Division I athletic departments—the highest level of intercollegiate athletics sanctioned by the National Collegiate Athletic Association—generated enough revenue to cover the expenses of their sports programs.” The NCAA for sure makes a ton of money, but the vast majority of college athletics departments are not even breaking even, unfortunately.