THIS WEEK’S INTERVIEW
If you need inspiration, are a coach of a gymnast who doesnt quite get it, or need New Years resolution help, this is the episode for you. Chris Brooks has been through all the things and his message is very powerful. From the great Texas gymnastics tradition, he overcame personal tragedy and a horrific injury to make the Rio Olympic team at age 29. He had grip lock as a junior, but recovered and won an NCAA Championship at Oklahoma. While in college, his father, who got him into gymnastics and was a gymnast himself, was killed in a car accident. Chris was named Olympic team alternate in 2012. Then he made the all-around final at the Rio Olympic Games just a few months before his 30th birthday. We discuss:
- The full Cheeseburgers on Horse story
- The famous hug between John Orozco and Chris Brooks after being named to the 2016 Olympic Team.
- How he peaked and gave up excuses to finally make the Olympic team.
- Is the U.S. men’s team really not doing well or is it actually improving?
- Was the judging fair in Rio?
- What does he think of the new changes to the Code of Points?
- His grip lock accident. (Article on preventing grip lock)
- Cheering hard: Did he ever get in trouble for being too loud?
- What was it like being coached by Olympic Champion, Rustom Sharipov?
- What to do about Winter Cup?
- Does he dislike being objectified (by the screaming gym mom’s at Winter Cup)?
- The 2015 floor faceplant.
- Performing in the Victorias Secret Fashion Show.
- His future plans.
- Indianapolis Star Out of Balance Investigation series
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- 115: Kenzo Shirai
- Episode 56: Preventing Abuse in Gymnastics
- Episode 21: Kyle Shewfelt
- Episode 24: Sho Nakamori & Match-Play Meet Debrief with Justin Spring
- Episode 32: Sam Mikulak & 2013 Mens NCAA Championships
- Episode 35: Jake Dalton
- Episode 40: Michigans Stacey Ervin
- Tim Daggett: A GymCastic Classic Episode
- 72: John Orozco
- 98: Eddie Penev the Bulgarian-American Bullet
- 116: Louis Smith, Amelle Berrabah of Team Sexy & Tumble Episode 5 Recap
- 139: Steve Butcher, President of the FIG Mens Technical Committee
- 63: Doctor Larry Nassar
- 164: Marian Dragulescu
- 195: Feedback & Rio Test Event with Coach Rick
- 233: Danell Leyva 2016
- 151: Danell Leyva
- 201: Mens Olympic Trials and P&G Champs Preview
- 202: The 2016 Mens Olympic Trials, Womens P&G Championships
- 218: Rio Olympic Event Finals Day 2
- 217: Rio Olympic Event Finals Day One
- 215: Rio Mens Olympic All-Around Final
- 213: Rio Mens Olympic Team Finals
- 211: Rio Mens Olympic Prelims & Houry Gebeshian Interview
- 209: Mens Podium Training at the Rio Olympic Games
- 221: Jane Doe vs. USAG Doctor
- US Olympian Files Sexual Assault Lawsuit Against US Team Trainer/Physician
- 227: Jane Doe2 Sues Karolyis
- 232: Conflict of Interest