IN THE NEWS
- Please take this super short survey. It helps our podcast host find advertisers to fit your every desire.
- How to watch live on BBC, CBC or NBC (details here).
- What we thought of the opening ceremonies.
- Toby (GER) returned to compete on pommel horse.
- Samir Ait Said (FRA) had a compound fracture of his lower leg bones on vault like Tim Daggett and Brinn Bevin. We debate whether or not it’s ok to share this video of the horrific injury.
- NBC has streaming covering and a daily online TV show called the Daily Dismount. We are obsessed with how good they are! Jim Watson, Courtney Kupets and Jonathan Horton #Jhortney 4 eva!
- Results, Finals qualifiers, upsets and shockers, plus individual highlights from the fan favorites. Hint: Igor is still alive!
- Our favorite non-gymnastics moments; Zapata’s shorts and China’s crushed velvet–we are looking at you.
Round-up of the latest news from Rio includes:
- Time magazine asked Mihai Bresytan and Simone Biles about the sex abuse cover-up allegations.
- International Gymnast said Laurie Hernandez is injured, but she and her coach vehemently deny this.
- We found out that NBC thinks female fans of the Olympics are not sports fans and think they only like it because it’s a soap opera.
THIS WEEK’S INTERVIEW
Houry Gebeshian (pronounced “Hooty”) made her first Olympics at age 27! She is a dual American-Armenian citizen and the first ever WAG Olympic gymnast for Armenia. As a University of Iowa gymnast, she completed the incredibly difficulty and time-consuming Bachelor’s degree in athletic training, which requires hundreds of hours of internship. She became a certified athletic trainer (ATC). She now practices obstetrics as a physician assistant at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. The woman who delivers babies by day and is an elite gymnast by night has the perfect motto, “It’s never too late to deliver a dream.” Watch her Sunday August 7, at 10:30 am Eastern in Mixed Group 3 in Rio prelims. We discuss:
- How she uses her ATC training to be in the best shape of her life at age 27.
- What she thinks of two-a-day training, like the US elites system does.
- Advice for gymnasts who want to grow a program in their ancestral country.
- Why she is self-funded when the men’s program is funded.
- Women’s rights in Armenia.
- Her response to Americans who poo-poo US gymnasts who compete for another country like she does.
- How our podcast has helped her learn the elite code and rules!
Ozone Leotards sponsor Houry and a fan designed her prelims leo!
Precision Choreography work with Houry on artistry and created her floor routine.
CONTEST: A winner every other podcast in August!
What: The Bronze Movie Watch Party Kits (gym bag with goodies and the movie), “The End of the Perfect 10” book, a U.S. Olympic Trials T-shirt, or GRAND PRIZE*: A Bronze Movie gym bag filled with real props used in the film and a one-of-a-kind Aliya Mustafina, handmade cross-stitch by Spanny Tampson.
How: Tweet, Instagram, Voicemail or Tumblr tag us and use the hashtag #BronzeContest to tell us which retired gymnast you would want to coach you, The Bronze style, to Olympic glory and why?
Winners Announced: On every other podcast for the entire month of August! Starting with the women’s podium training podcast.
Grand Prize Deadline: August 21st at midnight. Open to Club Gym Nerd members only*
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Rio Olympic Games
- Height, Ages and Repeat U.S. Olympic Gymnasts
- 210: Women’s Podium Training at the Rio Olympic Games
- 209: Men’s Podium Training at the Rio Olympic Games
- 208: Rio Olympics Preview
- 2016 Olympic Team and Coaches
- Episode 33: Simone Biles & Her Coaches
- 161: Women’s Finals Recap with Aimee Boorman and Christian Gallardo
- Episode 77: Aly Raisman
- Episode 41: Laurie Hernandez & Coach Maggie Haney
- 151: Danell Leyva
- Episode 32: Sam Mikulak & 2013 Men’s NCAA Championships
- 2014 Winter Cup: Chris Brooks on Broken Bones, Blaniks, and Rio
- Episode 35: Jake Dalton
- 72: John Orozco
- 187: McKayla Maroney
- 206: The Russian Situation
- 201: Men’s Olympic Trials and P&G Champs Preview
- Gymbuster: Domestic vs. International Scoring
- 200: Alicia Sacramone
- 162: Wrap Up of the 2015 P&G Championships
- 160: PG Championships Women’s Prelims Recap
- Episode 48: Kyla Ross
- Episode 58: Charlotte Drury, Fall Euro Series & NCAA De-commits
- Episode 31: Elise Ray
- 148: Shannon Miller
- Episode 28: Kristen Maloney
- Episode 55: Worlds Wrap Up & Ferlito-Gate
- Episode 54: Event Finals Recap from 2013 World Championships
- Episode 53: All Around Finals Recap from Antwerp World Championships
- Episode 52: Triumph & Heartbreak Prelims Recap from Antwerp Worlds
- 114: Fallout From Gymnastike’s Handling of Maroney Hack & Tumble Episodes 3 and 4 with special guest Jenni Pinches!
- Episode 16: Elizabeth Price
- 146: Taylor Rice and The 2015 NCAA Championships
- Episode 9: Chellsie Memmel, Swiss Cup & FIG Presidential Proposals
- Episode 37: Julie Zetlin
- 81: Jenny Hansen
- Episode 15: Joan Ryan Author of Little Girls in Pretty Boxes
- Douglas Family Gold on Oxygen Podcast Recaps