IN THE NEWS
In the news, Uncle Tim, Spencer and Jessica chat about:
- How to watch live on BBC, CBC or NBC (details here).
- We will be doing a podcast every day of podium training and for every competition! (1:04)
- The End of the Perfect 10 Book Contest winners announced (4:07)
- Russia: Despite reports, IOC still hasn’t cleared the Russians (6:39)
- Individuals with cool skills and stories to watch in the Mixed Groups
- WAG (10:30): Katarzyna Jurkowska-Kowalska double twisting gainer layout dismount, Vasiliki Millousi, Dipa Karmakar, Jessica Lopez, Zsófia Kovács, Catalina Ponor, Guilia Steingruber, Houry Gebeshian, Hong Un Jong (who may complete a gorgeous triple twisting yurchenko), Toni-Ann Williams, Oksana Chusovitina, Larissa Miller
- MAG (1:14:32): Manrique Larduet, Rayderley Zapata, Eleftherios Petrounias, Ri Se Gwang, Oleg Stepko, Enrique Tomas “porn ‘stash” Gonzalez Sepulveda; and six-foot-tall World floor medalist, Alexander Shatilov. And of course, Igor Radivilov’s triple front vault.
- MAG team medal predictions (1:20:00)
- Our actual and fantasy world picks for team and individual medals (53:01).
- Uncle Tim compares each men’s all-around medal contender to great works of literature (1:34:00)
- Three great websites to get rankings for your fantasy gymnastics pool 4for4.info has sexy data up the ying-yang. For rankings check out, The Gymter.net Best Scores in 2016 , The All-Around WAG Best Scores 2016 with D scores.
- Average age of Olympic gymnasts at the 2016 Rio Games is 20. Breakdown here and full age spreadsheet here. (48:35)
Our weekly roundup of the latest news stories from around the gymternet includes(1:41:22):
- Larissa Miller (AUS) had to vacate her room from the strong smell of gas.
- Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson’s Grander mentoring project is not their big #secretproject
- The FIG has an app now.
- Lauren Hopkins and Deanna Hong are working for NBC Olympics. Lauren is working on a show called The Daily Dismount
- Simone Biles released her emojis – Simoji.
- Al Trautwig (1:43:00) gave the worst PR interview that confirmed everything we already know about him; he’s willfully ignorant, tries not to do his homework, and sees gymnastics as an “esoteric” sport too complicated for the average human. It was like listening to an old white man who hates anything non-baseball. His misogyny was evident when he compared two athletes with legitimate medal chances to each other. His factually correct statements about Gabby Douglas, “didn’t look like a gold medalist” and “has fallen off the beam the last two times she’s gone” to Sam Mikulak who he says, in stark contrast to Gabby, “every once in a while makes the odd mistake.” Funny way to compare two potential medalists when Sam has fallen at almost every single competition he’s entered into for years. The rage continues…
- Despite Kellogg’s tweeting to the contrary, Simone will not be walking in the opening ceremonies. Duh.
- Aimee Boorman and Maggie Haney said they are getting Olympic tattoos and confirmed that Marta is on Twitter!
- We created #GymUnsafe
- A spreadsheet to track coaches who make the news for suspected abuse–filling the gap between the time coaches are investigated and subsequently banned or exonerated. For example, USAG permanently ineligible member, Zac Lawson has opened a new gym.
OLYMPIC BRONZE CONTEST: A winner every other podcast in August!
What: The Bronze Movie Watch Party Kits (gym bag with goodies and the movie), The End of the Perfect 10 book, a U.S. Olympic Trials T-shirt or GRAND PRIZE*: A Bronze Movie gym bag filled with real props used in the film and the one of a kind, Aliya Mustafina cross-stitch handmade by Spanny Tampson. Open to Club Gym Nerd members only*
How: Tweet, Instagram, Voicemail or Tumblr tag us and use the hashtag #BronzeContest to tell us which retired gymnast you would want to coach you, The Bronze style, to Olympic glory and why?
Winners Announced: on every other podcast for the entire month of August! Starting with the women’s podium training podcast.
Grand Prize Deadline: August 21st at midnight.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- 2016 Olympic Team and Coaches
- Episode 33: Simone Biles & Her Coaches
- 161: Women’s Finals Recap with Aimee Boorman and Christian Gallardo
- Episode 77: Aly Raisman
- Episode 41: Laurie Hernandez & Coach Maggie Haney
- 151: Danell Leyva
- Episode 32: Sam Mikulak & 2013 Men’s NCAA Championships
- 2014 Winter Cup: Chris Brooks on Broken Bones, Blaniks, and Rio
- Episode 35: Jake Dalton
- 72: John Orozco
- 187: McKayla Maroney
- 206: The Russian Situation
- 201: Men’s Olympic Trials and P&G Champs Preview
- Gymbuster: Domestic vs. International Scoring
- 200: Alicia Sacramone
- 162: Wrap Up of the 2015 P&G Championships
- 160: PG Championships Women’s Prelims Recap
- Episode 48: Kyla Ross
- Episode 58: Charlotte Drury, Fall Euro Series & NCAA De-commits
- Episode 31: Elise Ray
- 148: Shannon Miller
- Episode 28: Kristen Maloney
- Episode 55: Worlds Wrap Up & Ferlito-Gate
- Episode 54: Event Finals Recap from 2013 World Championships
- Episode 53: All Around Finals Recap from Antwerp World Championships
- Episode 52: Triumph & Heartbreak Prelims Recap from Antwerp Worlds
- 114: Fallout From Gymnastike’s Handling of Maroney Hack & Tumble Episodes 3 and 4 with special guest Jenni Pinches!
- Episode 16: Elizabeth Price
- 146: Taylor Rice and The 2015 NCAA Championships
- Episode 9: Chellsie Memmel, Swiss Cup & FIG Presidential Proposals
- Episode 37: Julie Zetlin
- 81: Jenny Hansen
- Episode 15: Joan Ryan Author of Little Girls in Pretty Boxes
- Douglas Family Gold on Oxygen Podcast Recaps
The Australian women’s 8 was the team alternate and were called up on July 28 when the Russian team wasn’t cleared to compete. They are in Rio and will be rowing in a borrowed boat.
I\’m a complete gym newb and somewhat a four year fan; and even I feel Trautwig is a garbage commentator who never adds anything I want to hear to the commentary
In need of a good Al Trautwig laugh:? Check this out:
I thought I already posted a comment here but, apparently, I did not. I am the person (amateur_gymnast) who did the 10 burpees with sheep jumps. Thanks for selecting me as a winner of the book contest.
Also, there is no need worry about my back. I did those burpees a year ago and my back is fine now. My back was actually sore from other exercise, and it was just a fluke injury (which I thought was just back soreness at the time). Although the burpees did not hurt my back, my back soreness did impact my flexibility and my ability to perfect them. It took only a few weeks for my back to heal, but other, unrelated health problems prevented me from trying the “sheep jump burpees” again. I am very perfectionistic and, so, I guess I felt compelled to explain why I was not completely perfect.
Nickname request: ChuBogi, emphasis on \”Bo\”
Trautwig is loathed by everyone for his fatuousness.
Republicans are gymnastics fans too, and insulting a significant portion of the U.S. population seems contrary to your biggest podcast in the universe claims. I suggest you avoid politics, and Presidential candidates, and focus on the competition.
Agreed. It takes away from the show and doesn\’t promote the sport in any way. Insulting a portion of your audience just drives them back to NBC. Do you want to be responsible for people turning to Trautwig for their gym news? 😛
Do you have any idea of what is going on in your country? She is totally just stating the obvious.
Where is the Trautwig interview? I haven\’t seen it around, but yeah he really needs to go.
“Canadian ice shovelling sport.” Do you mean curling? IT’S SWEEPING NOT SHOVELLING, AND IT’S A NATIONALLY BELOVED PASTIME.
You made me laugh so hard with the booktitles for gymnasts. Especially everybody poops for Oleg Vernaiev. HILARIOUS.
Now in Retrospect we know he must have taken Immodium because he did so great.